- Home /
- Flixonase Nasal spray - 50 mcg
Flixonase Nasal Spray
Fluticasone Furoate is an inhalable antihistamine that is used to treat patients who are suffering from seasonal allergies like hay fever, chronic rhinitis and asthma etc. These are synthetically produced corticosteroids, similar to those produced by the adrenal gland. This medication is used to treat seasonal or perennial rhinitis along with asthma chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
This medicine is available in the dosage form of nasal spray and reduces the symptoms of seasonal allergies like stuffy, runny, or itchy nose; sneezing; and red, itchy, or watery eyes. This drug is prescribed for adults and children above 4 years of age. Fluticasone takes at least 8-24 hours to show its full fledged effect.
Understanding the drug:
How it works?
This drug contains steroids that work by decreasing the inflammation caused by allergic rhinitis and asthma. Corticosteroids are known to show wide range of effects on various types of cells like mast cells, eosinophils and neutrophils etc. and also on the mediators like histamines and cytokines that have inflammatory actions.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to Fluticasone Furoate
- Are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- Are breast feeding mother
- Any other kind of ongoing allergies
- Have severe liver problem
- Have extreme nasal problems
- Have concomitant skin infections
How much to take?
The dosage of this drug varies with the age group for which it is suggested and the condition of the patient. Take the drug as directed by your doctor. The usual recommended dosage is:
- For adults and children( 12 years and above):
Two sprays in each nostril once daily. Once the symptoms are relieved to a certain extent the dosage may be decreased to 1 spray in each nostril
- For children ( 4-11 years)
The usual dose is 1 spray in each nostril once a day. If severe cases are found then the dose may be increased up to 2 sprays in each nostril.
- This drug is not yet established safe for children below the age of 4 years.
Your doctor is the one who decides the right dosage. Therefore the drug must be always taken as recommended by the doctor or physician.
What are the strengths available?
The drug is available in following strengths depending upon the active ingredient that is Fluticasone Furoate:
Furamist 27.5 mcg per spray
Flixonase 50 mcg nasal spray
Flomist 50 mcg nasal spray
Who are the manufacturers and what packs sizes are available?
Pack sizes available
120,360 and 720 doses
120 and 240 doses
100, 300 and 600 doses
How to use?
- Gently blow your nose to clear your nostrils
- Shake the bottle of the spray well
- Remove the dust cap and follow the steps:
- Tilt your head and place the nozzle of the spray at the side of the nose
- Press the button to spray the medication while breathing inside the nose
- Remove the nozzle from the nose and breath out through the mouth
- Repeat the steps for the other nostril
- Wipe the nozzle with a clean cloth, replace the dust cap and store in an upright position
When to take?
Take your dose at the same time each day. Taking it at the same time each day will help you remember the dose. It will then become a part of your daily routine. Take your doctor’s advice about the time of dosage.
For how long should it be taken?
It is important to continue taking your medicine even if you feel well. Do not stop the drug without doctor’s advice. This medicine controls your condition, but does not cure it.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
Too much Furamist may cause nasal congestion, pharyngeal candidiasis, pharyngitis, dysphoria and cough. In such a case visit nearest healthcare center or call your doctor immediately.
What if you miss the dose?
If you forget to take the dose, take it as soon as you remember, as long as it is at least 12 hours before your next dose. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
What are the side effects?
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- Nose bleeds
- Pain, burning in nose
- Irritation or dryness in the inside of the nose
- Nasal ulceration
- Eye irritation or redness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling that your heart is racing
In such cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may /may not experience all of them.
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Some of the drugs may interfere with the working of this drug like:
- “Azole" antifungal (Ketoconazole, Itraconazole, Voriconazole)
You should also ask your doctor about the full list of the drugs that should be avoided or that you should be careful of while taking Fluticasone. Also check with your doctor about any kind of prescription medicines, OTC or herbal medicines that you might be taking.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Never let the medicine to enter into your eyes, if it happens then flush your eyes with the tap or cold water for many minutes
- Always store the medicine in an upright position
- This drug may decrease the growth velocity in children
- Do not give the medicine to anyone else, even if they have same conditions as you have
- If using the medicine after a long gap, then spray the pump in air 6 times or until a fine mist is sprayed from the bottle
|US Brand Name||Flonase|
|Generic Name||Fluticasone Propionate|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
Write a Review