About the drug:
Galantamine is a medication which helps in improving the function of the nerve cells in the brain. It works by stopping the breakdown of a chemical called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is crucial for the processes of memory, thinking, and reasoning. The level of this chemical is usually lower than normal in people with dementia.
Uses of the drug:
Galantamine is therefore prescribed for people with mild to moderate dementia induced by Alzheimer’s disease. It is sold under various trade names like Galamer (made by Sun Pharma). Galantamine may also be given for treatments not listed here.
Working of the drug:
It functions by preventing the breakdown of an organic neurotransmitter chemical called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is crucial for the processes of memory, thinking, and reasoning. The level of this chemical is usually lower than normal in people with dementia.
Galamer is manufactured by Sun Pharma, India. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Galamer 4 mg online, visit alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of Tablet under the following brand name and strengths on our website:
- Galamer 4 mg
- Galamer8 mg
Buy Galamer 4 mg online at alldaychemist.com.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to this active ingredient Galantamine or any other ingredient of the drug
- Have allergies to the food and medicines
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into the breast milk
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have a diabetes history
- Have a seizure disorder
- Have heart rhythm problems (arrhythmia)
- Have the condition of vertigo or very fast heart beat
- Have a history of epilepsy
How much to take the drug?
Take the drug exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Galantamine dosage will be decided by your doctor after properly examining you. However, the normal dosage is 4 mg orally once daily initially, then incremented by 4 mg per week. Maintenance dosage is 4mg once daily up to 10 mg twice daily. The maximum daily dose of Galantamine should not exceed 20 mg.
How to take the drug?
Take Galantamine anti convulsant medication (Razadyne, Galamer) strictly according to your doctorâ€™s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Your doctor may occasionally change the dosage to get the maximum benefit out of the medication. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over.
Galantamine extended release tablet is usually taken once per day in the morning or according to your doctor’s instructions. It works best if taken along with food. Avoid crushing, breaking, or chewing a Galantamine extended release tablet as doing so may lead to too much of the medicine to be release at once. Instead swallow it whole with a full glass of water. Ensure to drink plenty of water (6-8 glasses) to prevent dehydration while taking Galantamine.
For how long to take it?
Do not stop taking the tablets or change the dose without consulting with your Doctor. This drug is meant to be taken on a regular basis, so keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor.
In case of an overdose of Galantamine, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immediately. Overdose may cause restlessness, drowsiness, unusual behavior, hallucinations, light headedness, or fainting.
Do not miss a single dose of Galantamine. However, if you miss a dose, take it as soon as your remember it. Do not take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Instead continue with the original schedule. Never take multiple doses closer to each other.
Side effects of the drug:
- You may witness or experience some side effects while taking Galantamine (Razadyne, Galamer). Some of the side effects due to Galantamine are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, appetite loss, or weight loss. Seek emergency medical attention if any of these effects persist for a longer period or deteriorate further.
- Any serious side effect is rare but get in touch with your doctor immediately if you have any of these serious side effects of Galantamine: fainting, unusually slow heartbeat, difficulty while urinating, seizures, black or bloody stools, bloody vomit that looks like coffee grounds, stomach pain/abdominal pain, or irregular heartbeat.
- These are not the only side effects of Galantamine medication. There may be others. Contact your doctor right away if you experience any serious side effects or if your condition worsens after taking Galantamine.
Common drug interactions:
Some drugs can interact with Galantamine. Let your doctor know in advance if you are already using any of these interacting drugs: erythromycin, donepezil, paroxetine, antifungal medicine like ketoconazole or others, rivastigmine, atropine, belladonna, scopolamine, bladder or urinary medicines such as darifenacin, flavoxate, oxybutynin or others, bronchodilators such as ipratropium or tiotropium, irritable bowel medicines such as dicyclomine, hyoscyamine, or propantheline, ulcer medications like mepenzolate or glycopyrrolate, or NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, celecoxib, naproxen, or others.
The list of drugs mentioned here in this guide is not a complete one and there may be other interacting drugs. Share the list of all present medication which you may be using with your doctor. Never start a new medication on your own.
Things to remember:
- Follow any diet and activity restrictions advised by your doctor strictly, especially with regards to any activity that requires a high level of mental alertness.
- Immediately stop using Galantamine medication and seek medical attention if you experience chest pain, low heart rate, bloody stools, coughing up blood, reduced urination, weakness, confusion, extreme thirst, or hot or dry skin.
|US Brand Name||Razadyne|
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.