About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Bromfenac. It is used in the treatment of inflammation in eyes.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is mainly used in providing relief of swelling or eye pain in patients who have had cataract surgery recently.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by blocking the production of prostaglandin, a substance that is responsible for causing inflammation, swelling, redness or irritation.
The manufacturer of Megabrom- 5 ml is GSK, India. You can purchase Megabrom - 5 ml online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the eye drop form in the following strength
- Megabrom - 5 ml
Before you take this drug:
Do not use this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have asthma
- Have diabetes
- Are suffering from dry eye syndrome
- Have a bleeding disorder
- Have had any eye surgery recently
- Are allergic to sulfa drugs, other NSAIDs, aspirin.
- Are taking any other medicines
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to use the drug?
The normal dosage of the medicine is 1 drop in each affected eye which is to be given twice daily continuously for a period 14 days. The medicine needs to be started 24 hours after surgery. The dosing instruction needs to be followed carefully and never alter the dosage. Take the medicine only for the prescribed period of time and do not exceed it or take it for less number of days.
How to use the drug?
The medicine is to be used exactly as prescribed by your doctor. You need to tilt your head backward, open the dropper and put the drop on the affected eye and keep the eye closed for few seconds. Stop using the medicine in case you face any discomfort in the eye such as eye redness, eye pain, eye swelling, and vision change and so on and report the same to your doctor.
For how long to use it?
The medicine is to be taken for the entire prescribed period of time and should not be stopped in between as it may lead to adverse effect.
In case of overdoes of the medicine you must get emergency medical help as soon as you can. Overdose of the medicine scan cause some side effects and should be avoided.
In case of missed dose you must take the medicine as soon as you remember provided there is sufficient gap between two doses. Never double dose to compensate for the missed dose. Taking the medicine at the same time each day reduce chances of missing any dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicine include:
- Burning/irritation/stinging in eye
- Watery eyes
- Temporary blurred vision
If any of the above side effects do not subside after some time then you must get medical help as soon as you can.
Some of the serious side effects of the medicine include:
- Severe pain or redness in the eye
- Eye discharge
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurry or abnormal vision
- Redness; or pain around the eye
- Feeling if something is in the eye, or itching
Get medical help as soon as you can in case you develop any of the above side effects. This is not the complete list of side effects that may happen. There may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
Before using the medicine tell your doctor about the medicines that you are using currently especially the ones such as blood thinner like warfarin, clopidogrel, other eye medications, other NSAIDs. These medicines may interact with Bromfenac and increase or decrease the working of the medicines. This is not a complete list of drugs that may interact with Bromfenac. There may be other medicines as well. You must also tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medicines as well.
Things to remember:
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose specified and not for any other purpose.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry pace away from heat, light and moisture.
- While putting the eye drop do not touch the tip of the dropper as it may contaminate the medication.
- Do not put Bromfenac eye drops if you are wearing contact lenses. The lenses need to be opened first before putting the medicine.
- If the symptoms persist even after application of the medicine for sufficient period of time then get in touch with your doctor as soon as you can.
|US Brand Name||Xibrom|
|Generic Name||Bromfenac Opthalmic Solution|
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.