About the drug:
Acamprosate Calcium oral is a special narcotic medication that arrests the effects of other narcotic substances and alcohol. It is available under different trade names in different nations, one of which is Acamprol (made by Intas Pharmaceuticals India).
Uses of the drug:
Acamprosate is prescribed primarily for fighting drug or alcohol addiction in people who have been addicted to alcohol and narcotics but are not taking it at present. Acamprosate helps to fight alcohol dependence in a person who has recently quit drinking by helping him or her to continue living without cravings for alcohol. It may also be used for other treatments not mentioned above.
Working of the drug:
This medication alters the chemical activity in the brain of an alcohol dependent person which may have become unbalanced due to addiction. It works by fixing this chemical imbalance. Acamprosate is used along with behavior changes and proper counseling support to help a person quit his or her drinking habit.
Acamprol is manufactured by Intas Pharma. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Acamprol 333 mg online, visit alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of tablet under the following brand name and strength on our website:
Acamprol 333 mg
Buy Acamprol 333 mg online at alldaychemist.com.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to this active ingredient or any other ingredient of the drug
- Are under 12 years of age, consult your doctor for the safety and efficacy
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into the breast milk
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have high blood pressure
- Have a history of epilepsy
- Have the condition of vertigo or very fast heart beat
- Have a diabetes history
- Have heart rhythm problems (arrhythmia)
How much to take the drug?
You should take Acamprosate medication (Acamprol) strictly as directed by your doctor. General dosage is 2 tablet 2-3 times a day. doctor decides the best dose by analyzing te condition of the patient. Do not change the dosage under any situation unless or otherwise advised by your doctor otherwise you may experience dangerous effects of this medication. Take this medication regularly as prescribed to get the maximum benefit.
How to take the drug?
- If you are taking the tablets, then you can just swallow the tablets with a glass of water. Do not break or crush the tablet. Do not dissolve the tablets, take it as full. Take the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor. Try to take the dose at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing a dose. You must take Acamprosate medication (Campral, Acamprol) strictly as prescribed by your doctor and no change in the dosage must be made whatsoever without your doctor’s advice.
- Start taking Acamprosate medication as soon as possible after you have stopped drinking alcohol. Take this medication with water. It may be taken with or without food. However, if you regularly eat 3 meals a day, it would be easy to remember to take this medication if you take it after having a meal.
- Acamprosate medication will not treat your alcohol dependence single handedly. It requires professional counseling and continued avoidance of alcohol consumption. Remember to take this medication for the complete prescribed length of time without any changes, even if you revert back to alcohol habit. Notify your doctor if you consume alcohol while taking Acamprosate.
- Always store Acamprosate medication in a cool and dry place, away from any kind of heat and moisture. Ensure that children or pets do not have access to this medication.
For how long to take it?
Do not stop taking the tablets or change the dose without consulting with your Doctor. This drug is meant to be taken on a regular basis, so keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor.
If overdose, talk to Doctor or Poisons information center for advice. Take medical help as soon as possible.
If you miss a dose of Acamprosate, take it as soon as you remember. Do not take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be dangerous.
Side effects of the drug:
Get emergency medical attention if you witness some allergic reactions to Acamprosate (Campral, Acamprol) like skin hives, breathing difficulty, swelling in face, lips, tongue, or throat. Some serious side effects of Acamprosate are changes in mood or behavior, self hurting and suicidal thoughts, severe depression or anxiety, or confusion. Contact your doctor in case you experience any of these side effects.
Some less serious side effects of Acamprosate are nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, appetite loss, diarrhea, headache, vision problems, weakness, back pain, changes in taste, or insomnia. The side effects mentioned above are not all the side effects reported or experienced due to Acamprosate. You may notice other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
Acamprosate medication (Acamprol) can interact with other narcotic drugs greatly, especially narcotic pain killers and nullify their effect if you use them while taking Acamprosate medication. Let your doctor know if you use any medications in advance, especially: Butorphanol, Hydrocodone, Codeine, Buprenorphine; Oxymorphone; Propoxyphene; Meperidine; Naloxone; Dezocine; Oxycodone; Methadone; Nalmefene; Or Morphine.
Things to remember:
Drinking alcohol while on a Acamprosate treatment may result in nausea, fast heartbeats, flushing, thirst, chest pain, vertigo, or low blood pressure.
Avoid taking Acamprosate for at least 12 hours after consuming alcohol. Even after you have stopped taking Acamprosate for several weeks, you may still see its effects if you drink alcohol.
It may be recommended that Acamprosate be given to you by someone in your family or other caretaker. The reason is to ensure that you are taking anti-addiction medicine properly as prescribed. Acamprosate can lead to side effects that may affect your thinking and reflexes capacity. Be extra careful and alert if you do an activity like driving which requires a high degree of mental awareness.
Try to carry an ID card or some kind of badge which displays that you are using Acamprosate. This will be very important in case of an emergency. Any healthcare provider who treats you must know in advance that you are using this medication.
|US Brand Name||Campral|
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
(Based on 1 ratings)
Write a Review