About the drug:
Memantine is an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)-receptor antagonist and it is a medication used for Alzheimer’s disease as it helps in improving the function of the nerve cells in the brain. It is a drug used for the treatment of mild to moderate Alzheimer related dementia.
Uses of the drug:
Admenta is prescribed mainly for people with mild to moderate dementia induced by Alzheimer’s disease. It helps the brain to improve its functions and abilities to think, communicate and remember.
Admenta may also be given for treatments other than those listed above.
Working of the drug:
Memantine is an NMDA receptor antagonist that works by blocking the excess activity of the some substances in brain known as glutamate. This in turn reduces the symtptoms associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
Admenta is manufactured by Sun Pharma, India. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Admenta 5 mg online, visit alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of Tablet under the following brand name and strength on our website:
- Admenta 5 mg
- Admenta 10 mg
Buy Admenta 5 mg online at alldaychemist.com.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to this active ingredient Memantine or any other ingredient of the drug
- Have allergies to the food and medicines
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into the breast milk
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have a diabetes history
- Have a seizure disorder
- Have heart rhythm problems (arrhythmia)
- Have the condition of vertigo or very fast heart beat
- Have a history of epilepsy
How much to take the drug?
Take the drug exactly as prescribed by the doctor. Memantine dosage will be decided by your doctor after properly examining you. However, the normal dosage is 5 mg orally once daily initially, then incremented by 5 mg per week. Maintenance dosage is 5mg once daily up to 10 mg twice daily. The maximum daily dose of Memantine should not exceed 20 mg.
How to take the drug?
If you are taking the tablets, then you can just swallow the tablets with a glass of water. Do not break, chew or crush the tablet before taking. Do not try to dissolve the Tablets, take it as full. you can tke the tablets with or without food.
Take the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor. Try to take the dose at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing a dose.
For how long to take it?
Do not stop taking the tablets or change the dose without consulting with your Doctor. This drug is meant to be taken on a regular basis, so keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor.
In case of an overdose of Memantine, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immediately. Overdose may cause restlessness, drowsiness, unusual behavior, hallucinations, light headedness, or fainting.
Do not miss a single dose of Memantine. However, if you miss a dose, take it as soon as your remember it. Do not take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Instead continue with the original schedule. Never take multiple doses closer to each other.
Side effects of the drug:
- Some common and less serious side effects of Memantine are dizziness, hallucinations, confusion, loss of coordination, seizures, fainting, joint pain, anxiety, swelling in hands or feet, constipation, and headache. If any of these side effects continue for a long time and deteriorate, seek medical attention right away.
- Memantine rarely causes any serious side effects but if you experience them, stop using the medication and get emergency medical attention. The side effects mentioned thus are not all the possible ones, there may be others.
Common drug interactions:
Some drugs can interact with Admenta or Memantine. Let your doctor know in advance if you are already using any of these interacting drugs: cimetidine, nicotine, ranitidine, quinidine, sodium bicarbonate, anti viral drugs such as rimantadine or amantadine, cold or cough medicines that contain dextromethorphan, a diuretic which such as hydrochlorothiazide or triamterene, drugs to treat glaucoma such as acetazolamide or dichlorphenamide, or oral diabetes medications that contain metformin. These drugs are not all the possible ones which can interact with Memantine. There may be others. Let your doctor know about all other drugs which you may be using. Never start a new medication without proper medical screening and advice. The list of drugs mentioned here in this guide is not a complete one and there may be other interacting drugs. Share the list of all present medication which you may be using with your doctor. Never start a new medication on your own.
Things to remember:
- Follow any diet and activity restrictions advised by your doctor strictly, especially with regards to any activity that requires a high level of mental alertness.
- Memantine can impact your thinking ability and reflexes. This may make activities like driving daunting and tough, so be extra careful.
|US Brand Name||Namenda|
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.