About the drug
Cetrizine HCl is an antihistamine. This medicine is used to relieve the symptoms of hay fever (allergy to pollen and other substances present in the air) and the allergy to other substances like dust mites, animal dander and cockroaches etc., the various symptoms of the allergy includes:
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itching (nose / throat)
However Cetirizine does not prevent hives, or any other serious reactions of allergy like anaphylaxis
Uses of the drug:
This antihistamine is used in the treatment of hay fever, angioderma and Urticaria etc.
Working of the drug:
Cetirizine works by blocking the histamines in the body, reducing the allergic reaction symptoms from occurring.
Alerid 10 mg tablet is manufacture by Cipla, India. You can buy Alerid 10 mg online at alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength on our website:
- Alerid 10 mg tablets
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to this drug or any of the other ingredients present in this medicine
- Have rare inherited disorder of blood called porphyria
- Have allergic reactions to the other anti histamines
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are pregnant and if you are not then use all the methods to prevent pregnancy
- Are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into the breast milk and harm the newborn
- Have diabetes
- Have had any emergency treatment or surgery
- Have any other skin infection
- Have Myasthenia Gravis
- Have Arrhythmia
How much to take the drug?
Recommended doses of Cetirizine are as follows:
- For adults and children above 12 years: 10 mg once a day
- For children of age group 6-12 : 5 mg taken twice a day
- For children 2-6 years of age: 2.5 mg twice a day
- If you are taking the over the counter products to self treat then read all the directions on the package before taking it.
How to take the drug?
Cetirizine comes in various forms like tablets, chewable tablets, extended release tablets and syrup. Alerid comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day with or without food. However follow the instruction of your doctor.
- If you are taking chewable tablets chew each tablet well and swallow
- If using rapid dissolving tablet then allow it to dissolve on your tongue and then swallow with or without water
- If using a syrup form, use a spoon or measuring device that gives you correct measurements, do not use house hold spoon
For how long to take it?
Take the dose as long as your doctor tells you to or as long as you feel relieved. If your allergy persists for more than three days then it is suggested to go to the doctor to get more profound test to get the idea of the allergy. The medicines should be taken at the same time each day. Taking it at the same time each day will help you remember the time of dose to be taken.
Symptoms of overdose are like:
Seek medical attention in case you find you have used more of this medicine or if you find kind of discomfort after taking this medicine.
In case you forget to take the dose, skip the dose and take the next dose on the recommended time period. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
Side effects of the drug:
Along with the benefits, most of the medicines have their unwanted side effects. It is not necessary that everyone will experience them. Some of the side effects may ward off automatically as your body becomes used to it or adjust itself accordingly.
Certain side effects include:
- Feeling tired and sleepy
- Feeling sick
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
- Urinating less than usual or absolutely not at all
- Sore throat or cough
- Tremors or weakness
Common drug interactions:
Drugs may interact with each other to produce certain unwanted effects like changing the way they work or increase the chances of side effects. Make a list of all the products you use and share it with your doctor. Do not use any other anti-histamine along with Cetirizine as it may increase the side effects. Cetirizine is very much similar to levocetirizine and hydroxyzine. So, do not take this medicine while taking Cetirizine. Other medicines that may interact with Cetirizine are:
- Fentanyl Intranasal
Things to remember:
- To get maximum benefits of the medicine you must:
- Avoid alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers as they may increase drowsiness.
- Do not drive or work use tools or machines, i.e. do not do that work which will require mental alertness as this medicine may cause drowsiness in some people.
- Do not give this medicine to anyone else.
- Dispose of all out-of- date or expired medicines.
|US Brand Name||Zyrtec|
|Generic Name||Cetirizine Hcl|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
(Based on 1 ratings)
Write a Review