About the drug:
The active ingredient in the drug is Amlodipine Besilate. It is mainly used to treat high blood pressure. It belongs to the group of medicines called calcium channel blockers.
Uses of the drug:
The drug is mainly used for lowering high blood pressure thereby treating hypertension. It is also used in the treatment of chest pain or angina. Lowering of hypertension may result in preventing heart attacks, kidney problems and also prevent stroke.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by widening blood vessels and thereby making it easier for heart to pump blood around the body. This results in increase in supply of oxygen and blood to your heart.
The manufacture of Amlopres - 10 mg is Cipla. You can purchase Amlopres - 10 mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength:
- Amlopres - 10 mg
- Amlopres 5 mg
- Amlopres 2.5 mg
- Amlopres AT 5+50 mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients.
- Have liver problems
- Have unstable angina
- Have congestive heart failure
- Have any other heart problems
- Have porphyria
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby.
- Are taking any other medicines
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
The dosage of the medicine will be fixed by your doctor after examine you thoroughly. And after consideration of several factors such as weight, age, response to treatment, drug interaction, severity of condition and so on. The dose that is usually prescribed is mentioned below:
- For adults the initial dose may be 5 mg which may be increased to 10 mg once daily.
- Children between the age group 6 to 17 years will be prescribed with the dose of 2.5 mg and it can be increased to 5 mg once daily.
- For elderly the usual dose is 2.5 mg once daily.
The above dosages may vary on a case to case basis.
How to take the drug?
The medicine needs to be swallowed with a glass of water. It can be taken with or without food. Taking the medicine at the same time each day is desirable.
For how long to take it?
It is important to take the medicine for the prescribed period of time and not to discontinue it suddenly. Discontinuance of the medicine may lead to it not working properly.
Over dose of medicine can lead to side effects such as dizziness, confusion, nausea, red skin rash, diarrhoea, vomiting, rapid heart rate, fainting and so on. Hence overdose should be avoided as much as possible. In case of overdose of the medicine you much get in touch with your doctor on an urgent basic.
Missed doe should be taken as soon as you remember provided there is sufficient gap between two doses. In case the gap is not much then you should skip the missed dose and follow the original schedule.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicine include:
- Swelling of part or whole of body
- Chest discomfort
- Abdominal pain
- Unusual tiredness
- Swelling of ankle,
- Facial redness
- Fast heartbeat
- Pain in arms or shoulders
- Swelling of legs or ankles
This is not a complete list of side effect that may happen. There may be other side effects as well. In case the side effects persist for long then you must visit your doctor as soon as possible.
Common drug interactions:
There are several medicines which may interact with Amlodipine Besilate and increase or decrease the working of the medicine. Drug interaction may result in some serious side effects as well. Hence it is best to tell your doctor about the various prescriptions, non prescription drugs, herbal medicines and any supplements that you are taking currently. The following drugs seriously contraindicated with Amlodipine Besylate:
- Calcium carbonate
- Calcium chloride
- Calcium citrate
This is not a complete list of medicines that may interact. There may be other medicines also.
Things to remember:
- Your blood pressure level needs to be monitored regularly.
- The recommended dose should not be exceeded at any cost.
- Edema may develop in some patients within few weeks of starting the therapy.
- Alcohol consumption should be avoided when taking this medicine
- Sometime the patient may feel dizzy and blurred vision may also happen. Hence it is advisable to avoid activity that requires lot of alertness.
- The medicine must be stored in cool and dry place away from heat, light and moisture. It should also be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
|US Brand Name||Norvasc|
|Generic Name||Amlodipine Besilate|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.