About the drug:
The active ingredient in the drug is Atorvastatin and it belongs to the family of drugs called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors. Taking the medicine will lower the levels of low density lipoprotein and triglycerides in the blood.
Uses of the drug:
The drug is mainly used in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and also in the treatment of Dyslipidemia .
Working of the drug:
The drug works by hepatic cholesterol biosynthesis. It lowers the levels of LDL cholesterol i.e bad cholesterol in the body which is considered the main reason behind various cardiovascular diseases including strokes.
The medicine Tonact EZ - 20+10mg Is manufactured by Cipla, India. You can purchase Tonact EZ - 20+10mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength
- Tonact EZ - 20+10mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients of the drug.
- Are less than 18 years of age
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have liver disease
- Have kidney problems
- Have diabetes or thyroid problems
- Are breastfeeding or planning to breast feed
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Take more than 2 alcoholic beverages daily
- Have severe bladder infection
- Are taking any other medicines so that he can check for possible drug interaction
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
The dosage of the medicine will be fixed by your doctor after examining you carefully. He will take into consideration several factors such as age, weight, severity of condition, response to treatment, drug interaction and the likes before fixing the dose.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is to be taken with a glass full of water. Do not break or crush the tablet. The medicine should be combined with well balanced diet that is rich in vegetables and fruits.
For how long to take it?
Take the medicine for the entire length of time and do not stop the medicine in the mid way without your doctor's advice.
In case of overdose of medicine you may require urgent medical help as overdose can lead to several side effects as well.
If you miss a dose and if the time for the next dose is quite near, then you should skip the miss dose and follow the original schedule instead. Do not double dose to compensate for the missed dose. Taking the medicine at the same time each day can reduce the chance of missing the dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effect of the medicine includes:
- Persistent nausea
- Liver problems
- Kidney failure
- Fatigue and dizziness
- Abdominal pain
- Mood changes
- Muscle aches
- Weight loss
- Severe dizziness
You may or may not experience all of the above side effects. If the side effects persist for long you must get medical attention immediately. This is not a complete list of medicines that may happen. There may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
There are certain drugs which may interact with Atorvastatin and can cause several side effects or increase or decrease the working of the medicine. The following drugs may interact and hence advice of doctor is necessary before consuming the below medicines:
- Birth control pills
- Heart or blood pressure medicines
- HIV medicines
This is not a complete list of medicines that may interact. There may be other medicines as well. It is also wise to tell your doctor about the medicines that you are taking currently so that he can check for possible drug interaction.
Things to remember:
- Do not share the medicine with anyone else even if the person is suffering from the same symptom.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose mentioned and not for any other purpose.
- Avoid high fat diet.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat, light and moisture.
- While taking the medicine you must not consume alcohol.
- The medicine is not to be given to an adolescent under the age of 18 years
- The medicine could affect your ability to operate machinery or drive. Hence one must be careful while driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Do not exceed the dose prescribed to you as it may lead to several side effects.
|US Brand Name||Liptruzet|
|Generic Name||Atorvastatin + Ezetimibe|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.