Cefuroxime Axetil is a semi-synthetic, broad spectrum, cephalosporin antibiotic available meant for oral administration only. Each film-coated tablet contains 250 or 500mg of Cefuroxime. Other inactive ingredients added to the tablets include microcrystalline cellulose, sodium lauryl sulphate, croscarmellose sodium, pregelatinized starch, and hydrogenated vegetable oil, opadry blue and colloidal silicon dioxide. In order to avoid any Cefuroxime Axetil side effects, take it exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
Cefuroxime Axetil uses
Cefuroxime Axetil can be successfully used to treat following conditions:
•Prevention of a streptococcal infection, including rheumatic fever or prophylaxis
• Acute bacterial otitis media due to streptococcus pneumoniae, moraxella catarrhalis, streptococcus pyogenes or haemophilus influenzae
• Aute maxillary sinusitis due to haemophilus influenzae or streptococcus pneumoniae
• Acute bacterial ezacerbation of chronic bronchitis or secondary bacterial infection in acute bronchitis due to streptococcus pneumoniae, haemophilus parainfluenzae or haemophilus influenzae
• Skin and its structure infections due to streptococcus pyogenes or staphylococcus aureus
•Urinary tract infection due to klebsiella pneumoniae or Escherichia coli
• Gonorrhea, endocervical or urethral due to penicillinase or non-penicillinase producing strains of neisseria gonorrhoeae
• Rectal gonorrhea in females due to non-pencillinase producing neisseria gonorrhea strains
• Early Lyme disease or erythema migrans due to borrelia burgdorferi.
How to take Cefuroxime Axetil
Usually, you will be advised to take one tablet two times per day with food. However, the dosage may vary, depending on your medical condition, your age, kidney function and the type of infection to be treated. You will have to swallow the tablet whole, without crushing, breaking or chewing it. If you are using the oral suspension form of the medication, shake the bottle well before measuring your dose, and swallow it without water. You should take the medicine for the entire duration of prescription, even if your symptoms disappear much before that. Discontinuing the treatment may lead to return of the infection, which can be more dangerous.