Out Of Stock
|Generic Name||Imipenem + Cilastatin|
|Manufacturer||Sun Pharmaceutical Ind. Ltd|
About the drug:
Imipenem + Cilastatin, the combination medicine is an antibiotic. It is a broad-spectrum beta-lactam that contains equal quantities of Cilastatin and Imipenem. Though, it is related to penicillin/cephalosporin family of antibiotics, it is classified as belonging to carbapenem class. It is used to treat a number of bacterial infections.
Uses of the drug:
The drug is mainly used to treat several body infections such as lower respiratory tract infections, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections, gynecologic infections, bone and joint infections, bacterial septicemia, endocarditis and polymicrobic infections, skin and skin structure infections amongst others.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by killing wide variety of bacteria. Imipenem is an active antibiotic agent. It mainly works by interfering with their ability to form cell walls. Hence, the bacteria break up and die.
Cilanem is manufactured by Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Cilanem 500+500mg online visit alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of vials under the following brand name and strength on our website:
- Cilanem 500+500mg
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to the active ingredient Imipenem + Cilastatin or any other ingredient of the drug
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant as it may harm the unborn
- Are breast feeding your baby as it may harm the baby
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have history of seizures
- Have brain injury
- Have kidney/liver problems
- Have gastrointestinal disease
- Have asthma
- Have any allergy
- Have diabetes
How much to take the drug?
The dose of the medicine depends on the purpose for which the medicine is used and also several other factors such as age, weight, any medicine that you are allergic to, and any other ailments you are suffering from and so on. The usual recommended dose is 250 mg to 1 gm that needs to be given intravenously at a gap of 6 to 8 hours. It can also be given in intramuscular doses but the doses will be limited to 1.5gm daily usually for a period of 5 to 14 days depending upon the condition of the patient. The dose will vary from person to person.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is in the form of solution which is to be injected by a healthcare provider either into the large muscle or into the vein.
For how long to take it?
The injection has to be taken for the entire prescribed period without missing any dose. It is advisable not to change or stop the dose without consultation with your physician.
In case of overdose you must contact your doctor immediately.
In case of missed dose ensure that it is taken as soon as you remember it. However, there should be sufficient gap with the next dose or else it may lead to excess medication in your body and can pose health hazards.
Side effects of the drug:
Common side effects of the medicine are:
- Stomach Upset
- Stomach pain
Major side effects which should be attended immediately are:
- Rash and hives
- Facial swelling
- Unusual bleeding
- Difficulty breathing
- Altered taste
- Tooth or tongue discoloration
- Severe allergy
Common drug interactions:
It is advisable to share with your doctor all the medicines that you are taking currently so that there is no drug interaction. Some of the medicines which may interact with the drug are:
- Valproic acid
- Penicillin antibiotics such as ampicillin, amoxicillin, dicloxacillin, oxacillin
- Cephalosporin antibiotics such as cefuroxime, cefaclor, cephalexin, cephalexin and others.
Things to remember:
- You must use the medicine only for the purpose for which it has been prescribed.
- Never share your medicines with anyone even if the symptoms are the same.
- Precaution must be taken while doing any activity that requires attention as it may cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- The medicine should be stored in a cool and dry place away from the reach of children
- In case the symptoms still persists even after completing the dose then you must visit your doctor immediately.
- Tell your doctor about the medicines that you are taking currently and any ailments you are suffering from so that drug interaction does not take place.