About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Lisinopril. It belongs to the class of ACE inhibitors. It is a popular drug that is used in the treatment of hypertention and heart failure.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is mainly used in the treatment of heart attack and high blood pressure. It also decreases the risk of various heart conditions such as:
- Agina, stroke and other serious cardiovascular diseases.
- Mild to moderate hypertension
- Improves the survival in people who have suffered heart attack and have myocardial infarction
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by stopping the formation of Angiotensin II which causes constriction of blood vessels and results in increasing blood pressure. It helps in relaxing the constricted blood vessels and thereby helps the heart in pumping the blood more easily. It helps in supplying more oxygen and thereby reduces post heart attack damage. In case there is kidney problems the medicine works by improving the blood supply in the vessels found in the kidneys and thereby reducing the chance of getting hypertention and diabetes post effects.
The manufacturer of Lipril- 10mg is Cipla, India. You can purchase Lipril- 10mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength
- Lipril- 10mg
- Cipril - 2.5mg
- Cipril - 5mg
- Cipril H - 5 + 12.5 mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients of the drug.
- Have a heart disease
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breastfeeding your baby as the medicine may pass into the breast milk and harm the baby
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have kidney or liver disease
- Have diabetes or any other disease
- Are suffering from connective tissue disease like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and scleroderma
How much to take the drug?
Always take the dose as prescribed by your doctor. You doctor will prescribe you with the medicine after taking into consideration several factors such as age, weight, severity of condition, response to treatment and also drug interaction. The initial recommendation of the medicine is 2.5 mg which may be increased depending on the patient’s conditions.
How to take the drug?
The drug is to be taken in the manner suggested by your doctor. You must swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water. Never chew or crush the tablet. It can be taken with or without food.
For how long to take it?
The medicine should be taken for the prescribed period of time and should not be discontinued in between without consulting with your doctor.
Overdose of the medicine is not desirable as it may lead to several side effects such as light-headedness, fainting and extreme dizziness. In case of overdose of medicine you must get in touch with your doctor as early as possible.
If you have missed a dose then you must take it as soon as you remember provided the next dose is not near. If the next dose is near you must skip the missed dose and follow the regular schedule. Never double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some common side effects of the medicine include:
- Hyperkalemia conditions
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Mild skin irritation
- Some serious side effects of the medicine include:
- Fever, chills and body aches
- Rapid weight gain or swelling
- Pale or yellowing skin
- Pain in chest
In case of serious side effects you must seek medical attention immediately. In case of less serious side effects if the side effects persist for long then you must visit you doctor as soon as possible.
Common drug interactions:
In order to avoid drug interaction which may increase or decrease the working of the medicine, you must consult with your doctor before you take any other medicine along with Lisinopril. Some of the drugs which may interact are:
- Lithium, Aliskiren
- Other antihypertensive medications
- NSAID’s, ibuprofen, Naproxen, Celecoxib and Indomethacin
- Oral ant diabetic medicines
- Ginger, ginseng, licorice and Ephedra
- Diuretic drugs
- Potassium supplements
This is not a complete list of medicine that may interact. There are other medicines as well. You must also tell your doctor about the drugs that you are currently taking including any herbal medicines and also some supplements as well as any medicines that you are allergic to so as to avoid any drug interaction.
Things to remember:
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat, light and moisture. It is also to be kept away from the reach of children.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it may lead to several side effects.
- Avoid taking potassium or salt substitute when taking the medicine. Take advice from your doctor before taking any potassium substitute.
- Excess of diarrhoea, sweating and vomiting can lead to dehydration. So drinking adequate fluid is essential to compensate for the loss of water.
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose mentioned and not for any other purpose.
|US Brand Name||Prinivil|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
Again Thank You