About the drug:
Celecoxib is a NSAID that is preferably used for bringing relief from various kinds of pains and swelling like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, acute pain, spondylitis, painful menstruation and, post operative pains like those caused by injuries, dental procedures and surgery etc.
Uses of the drug:
It is more or less equal to ibuprofen in treating the post operative pain. It is also recommended for use in several children above 2 years of age for treating arthritis. This medicine comes as tablet and Capsules forms for relieving pain. The drug is used to release a variety of pains like those caused by osteoarthritis, menstrual cramps.
Working of the drug:
Celecoxib works by blocking the production of COX-2 enzymes that are needed to cause inflammation. The prostaglandin causes the pains that occur during menstrual periods. Celecoxib is known to efficiently reduce the cramps and pain by blocking the production of prostaglandins.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to Celecoxib
- Are allergic to other NSAID such as ibuprofen
- Have severe headache along with the pain
- Are breast feeding
- Have weakness in body
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are suffering from Asthma / breathing problems
- Notice any sudden vision changes
- Are pregnant or planning to do so
- Are breastfeeding
- Have runny nose or have nasal polyps
- Have Blood disorders or Anemia
- Have Heart problems, Intestinal problems or Kidney problems
- Have high Blood pressure
How much to take the drug?
The general recommended dose is one 100 mg tablet twice a day (morning and evening) or a single 200 mg dose a day. The doctor will prescribe the no. of capsules or dose to be taken in a day. The Capsules may be taken with or without food. The dose and frequency needs to be adjusted to meet the needs of an individual patient. The lowest effective dose should be sought and used in every patient.
How to take the drug?
Swallow the tablet with one glass full of water. Do not lie down for at least 10min after taking the drug. Do not break the tablet. This drug should be combined with well balanced but calorie controlled diet rich in fruits, nuts and vegetables.
It is generally recommednded that Cobix tablet should be taken during the meals. Never skip the meals while taking this medicine. Do not increase your dose or take this drug more than directed. Take the medicines at the same time each day so as to avoid forgetting the medicines.
For how long to take it?
Continue to take the drug for as long as the doctor recommends. It may take a few weeks to get properly benefitted by the drug. Do not stop taking the dose without the doctor’s prescription.
If overdose is taken in such a case contact a poison control room or visit nearest healthcare center. Symptoms of overdose may include:
- Lack of energy
- Drowsiness and stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hives and rashes
- Vomiting material that is bloody or looks like coffee grounds
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Loss of consciousness
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However if it is too late then leave the dose and take the next scheduled dose on the correct time. But never double up the dose for the missed one.
Side effects of the drug:
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following changes:
- Allergic reactions
- Gas or bloating
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Cloudy, discolored, or bloody urine
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Rashes, sores, redness or itching on the skin etc.
In the above mentioned cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may/may not experience all of them. Tell your doctor immediately in the above situations.
Common drug interactions:
Ask your doctor to get the full list of the drugs needed to be avoided while taking the drug as they may interfere it and may cause adverse effects. Various drug interactions may increase your risk for serious side effects. Many drugs that may interact with Cobix are:
- ACE inhibitors
- Angiotensin II
- Receptor blockers
- Anti- platelet drugs
Inform your doctor about the non-prescription or over the counter drugs that may have pain killers like: aspirin, NSAIDs such as Celecoxib, Ibuprofen or Ketorolac. Ask the doctor about using the aspirin if taking it in very low dose for preventing heart attack. Never, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
Things to remember:
- Your skin becomes more sensitive to sunlight than it is normally, so try to stay away from sunlight
- Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness, while using this medicine
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding
- Keep Cobix readily available
- Do not skip meals while taking Cobix
- Do not share this medicine with anyone else even if the symptoms are same
|US Brand Name||Celebrex|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
- Aerocort Forte Rotacaps - 200/100mcg
(Generic for Aerocort Forte) Beclomethasone Dipropionate 200mcg + Levosalbutamol 100mcg
30 Rotacaps - US$ 4.01View Details