About the drug:
Disulfiram was discovered in the year 1920 and it acts to support the treatment of alchoholism.
Uses of the drug:
Disulfiram is a drug used to treat chronic or deep rooted alcoholism. It is marketed and sold under various trade names in the world, like Dizone. Disulfiram works by interfering with alcohol metabolism in the body which leads to undesirable and unpleasant effects when alcohol is consumed.
Disulfiram may also be given for treatments other than those listed above.
Working of the drug:
The drug works by producing sensitivity to ethanol and brings the patient out of the stage of intoxication of the drug.
Dizone is manufactured by Ozone Pharmaceuticals. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Dizone 250 mg online, visit alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of tablet under the following brand name and strength on our website:
Dizone 250 mg
Buy Dizone 250 mg online at alldaychemist.com.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to this active ingredient Disulfiram or any other ingredient of the drug.
- Are under 12 years of age, consult your doctor for the safety and efficacy.
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into the breast milk
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have high blood pressure
- Have a history of epilepsy
- Have the condition of vertigo or very fast heart beatc
- Have a diabetes history
- Have heart rhythm problems (arrhythmia)
How much to take the drug?
Take the drug exactly as prescribed by the doctor. The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine and the condition of the patient. Do not use more of it and do not use it more often than your doctor ordered.
How to take the drug?
- If you are taking the tablets, then you can just swallow the tablets with a glass of water. Do not break or crush the tablet. Do not dissolve the tablets, take it as full.
- Take the medicine as prescribed by the Doctor. Try to take the dose at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing a dose.
For how long to take it?
Do not stop taking the tablets or change the dose without consulting with your Doctor. This drug is meant to be taken on a regular basis, so keep on taking the drug as long as recommended by the Doctor.
If overdose, talk to Doctor or Poisons information center for advice. Take medical help as soon as possible.
If you miss a dose of Disulfiram, take it as soon as you remember. Do not take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be dangerous.
Side effects of the drug:
- Severe liver problems sometimes leading to death have been observed in people taking Disulfiram even without a prior history of liver disease.
- Get emergency medical attention if you witness some allergic reactions to Disulfiram like skin hives, breathing difficulty, swelling in face, lips, tongue, or throat. Some serious side effects of Disulfiram are severe lethargy, dark urine, seizures, yellowing of the skin or eyes, drastic changes in appetite, severe diarrhea or vomiting.
- Some common and less severe side effects are skin rash, acne, mild headache, mild drowsiness or tiredness, impotence, unpleasant metallic taste, swollen or sore tongue.
- The side effects mentioned above are not all the side effects reported or experienced due to Disulfiram. You may notice other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
- Let your doctor know if you take any kind of medications (prescription, OTC, herbal) before he or she prescribes you Disulfiram (Dizone).
- These medications can interact with Disulfiram: Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines: a monoamine oxidase inhibitor like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, or others; isoniazid; a benzodiazepine such as diazepam, chlordiazepoxide, clorazepate, or others; a tricyclic antidepressant such as Amitriptyline, Imipramine, Doxepin, or others; Warfarin; Metronidazole; Lithium; Phenytoin; or Theophylline.
- The drug mentioned thus are not all the possible drugs which can interact with Disulfiram. There may be others as well. Share the list of all types of medications and related products which you are using with your doctor and never start a new medication without his or her advice.
Things to remember:
Drinking alcohol while on a Disulfiram (Dizone) treatment may result in nausea, fast heartbeats, flushing, thirst, chest pain, vertigo, or low blood pressure.
Avoid taking Disulfiram for at least 12 hours after consuming alcohol. Even after you have stopped taking Disulfiram for several weeks, you may still see its effects if you drink alcohol.
While taking Disulfiram, you should be careful and aware of some common medications and products which contain alcohol in small proportions like cough syrups, mouth wash, tonics, sauces, vinegars, and several other food products. Make sure to read the product labels carefully for the ingredients as alcohol content in these products may also cause reactions with Disulfiram. Even alcoholic fumes from products like paints, thinners, solvents can lead to reactions, so be careful.
|US Brand Name||Antabuse|
|Manufacturer||Ozone Pharmaceuticals ltd|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
Write a Review