About the drug:
Megestrol Acetate belongs to a group of medicine known as progestogens. It is mainly used in the treatment of prostate cancer apart from various other uses. The main ingredient in the medicine is Megestrol Acetate.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is used for the treatment of prostate cancer. It also slows the growth of endometrium and breast cancer cells. Severe weight or muscle loss and also appetite loss in people with immunodeficiency syndrome or cancer can also be treated with the help of the medicine.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by preventing the release of hormone that is required for production of testosterone which is required by prostate cancer cells for growth. The medicine also works by interfering with other proteins and hormones that are required for growth of cancer cells and thereby slowing down the growth of breast and endometrium cancer cells. Taking the medicine helps in production of certain proteins that increases weight gain and appetite.
Endace is manufactured by Samarth Pharma, India. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Endace 40 mg online visit alldaychemist.com
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of tablets under the following brand name and strength on our website:
- Endace 40 mg
Buy Endace 40 mg online at discounted price.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient Megestrol Acetate or any other ingredient of the drug
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant.
- Are breast feeding your baby
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have kidney/liver disease
- Have adrenal gland disorder
- Have allergic reaction
- Have diabetes
- Are taking any other medicine
- Have Hepatic impairment
- Have severe arterial disease
- Have a history of thromboembolic disease
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
The dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. certain factors that are taken into consideration while determining the dose are age, weight of patient, severity of condition, response to treatment and also drug interaction.
Usually the recommended dose for prostate cancer is 120 mg as a single dose daily. It may be taken alone or in combination with other drugs. For people with breast cancer the usually dose is 160 mg to be given daily. The dose may be divided into 4 equal doses of 40 mg. Those suffering from cancer of the endometrium the dose may vary from 80 mg to 320 mg daily. The doses can be divide into 40 mg to 80 mg doses that needs to be taken 1 to 4 times a day or 160 mg tablets 1 to 2 times a day.
How to take the drug?
The drug needs to be taken by mouth with the help of water. It can be taken with or without food.
For how long to take it?
It may take a long time, approximately 2 months to access the effectiveness of the medicine on the body. Care should be taken not to stop the medicine mid way and continue the medicine for the full length of time as prescribed by your doctor.
The medicine should be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. One must not take excess of the medicine which may lead to several side effects. In case of overdose you must get in touch with your doctor immediately.
It is very important that the medicine should be taken exactly as per the instruction of your doctor. If you miss a dose it should be taken as soon as you remember. But it should be skipped if the next dose is near. After taking the skipped dose the patient should follow the regular dosing schedule again.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicine include:
- Hair loss
- Increased appetite
- Mild blood pressure increase
- Mood changes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, ankles, or feet
- Weight gain
If the above side effects persist then you must call your doctor and get yourself checked. Also, in case the below serious side effects occur you must visit your doctor immediately:
- Changes in vaginal bleeding
- Dry mouth
- Filling or rounding out of face
- Frequent urination
- Increased blood sugar levels
- Increased flow of breast milk
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
- Unusual thirst
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Common drug interactions:
The following medicines when taken with megestrol may affect the way the medicine works or increase the risk of side effects:
- Androgens and testosterone
This is not a complete list of medicine that may interact with the medicine. There may be other medicines too. Inform your doctor and tell him about all the medicines that you take and the ones that you are allergic to so as to avoid drug interaction.
Things to remember
- The tablet should be stored in a dry and a cool place away from the reach of small children and pets.
- The medicine should not be shared with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Take the medicine only for the purpose for which it has been specified and not for any other purpose.
- Even after completing the course if the symptoms persists then you must get an appointment with your doctor to tell him about your health issues.
|US Brand Name||Megace|
|Generic Name||Megestrol Acetate|
|Manufacturer||Samarth Pharma, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.
Write a Review