About the drug:
Fluticasone Propionate belongs to a group of medications called Corticosteroid that are a group of synthetic hormones, often just called steroids. They are different from the anabolic steroids that are misused by the athletes. This steroid helps to prevent asthma attack in people who need regular treatment.
Uses of the drug:
This medicine is available in the Diskus form and each blister contains pre-dispensed inhalation powder. Fluticasone Propionate has a marked anti-inflammatory effect on the lungs. Flixotide Diskus is for inhalation by oral inhalation only.
It is used for the treatment of asthmatic inflammations and exacerbations. This drug is also recommended for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). This drug is called ‘preventer’ drug as its regular use will prevent the asthma attack. This drug is not suitable to treat a sudden asthma attack. Sudden attack is treated using certain medicines called ‘reliever’.
Working of the drug:
Flixotide contains Fluticasone Propionate and it helps to ease breathing problems and prevent asthma attacks.
This drug provides a measured amount of steroid for you to breathe into your lungs and, the medicine reduces the swelling and irritation in the walls of the small air passages in your lungs. However, this drug does not give an immediate relief from the irritation, and may take up to a week to start work.
Flixotide Diskus is the product of GSK, France a leading pharmaceutical company. This drug is available in various pack sizes and you can buy Flixotide Diskus online from alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths
The drug is available in the form of Diskus in the following strength depending upon the active ingredient that is Fluticasone Propionate:
- Flixotide Diskus 100 mcg
- Flixotide Diskus 250 mcg
Before taking this drug:
• Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to Fluticasone Propionate
- Are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding mother
- Any other kind of ongoing allergies
- Tell your doctor if you:
- Have severe liver problem
- Have extreme nasal problems
- Have concomitant skin infections
- Have diabetes mellitus
- Have ever had thrush in the mouth
- Have had a nasal surgery
- Have nasal infections or sinuses
How much to take the drug?
- For asthmatic patients the dosage is given as below. However the doctor must always be consulted before administering the use.
- For adults and children over 16 years of age: 100 to1000 mcg twice daily
- The intake also depends upon the severity of the disease in the patients suffering from the mild/moderate/severe asthma.
- Mild: 100 to 250 mcg twice daily
- Moderate: 250 to 500 mcg twice daily
- Severe: 500 to 1000 mcg twice daily
Children over 4 years of age: 50 to 100 micrograms dose twice a day
This drug is not suitable for the children below 4 years of age.
How to use?
Follow the steps given on the medicine leaflet provided by the manufacturer. You will find the instructions on how to use your Flixotide Diskus with the pack. Read the steps and follow the instructions given carefully. Also, consult your doctor if there is any confusion. The device will hold the blisters containing the Flixotide powder. There is a counter on the top of the Diskus that keeps a record of the doses left. Take your Flixotide dose at the same time each day. Taking it at the same time each day helps you remember the dose. It will then become a part of your daily routine. Take your doctor’s advice about the time of dosage.
This Diskus should not be used to treat a sudden attack of breathlessness. You will need a different kind of medicine called a 'reliever' which your doctor will have told you to take.
For how long to take it?
Continue to take the drug every day, even if you feel well; don’t stop taking the medicines without consulting the doctor.
In a case of overdose visit the nearest health care center or call your doctor immediately. Always keep the emergency number with you so that in case you feel discomfort you may call for help. If you are not sure what to do, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
What if you miss the dose?
If you forget to use your Diskus, then don’t panic, just leave the forgotten dose or if it’s not too late then take the dosage. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed one.
Side effects of the drug:
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- Itching or rashes or hives
- Throat irritation
- Hoarseness of voice
- Unpleasant taste and smell
- Feeling faint and light headed
- Pain and a sore throat or tongue
- Irritation or dryness in the inside of the nose
- Very rare side effects such as cataract, glaucoma and perforation of nasal sputum
In such cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may /may not experience all of them.
Common drug interactions:
Some of the drugs may interfere with the working of Flixotide like:
- Antifungal drugs (Ketoconazole, Itraconazole, Voriconazole)
- BCG vaccine (live)
You should therefore ask your doctor about the full list of the drugs to be avoided or that you should be careful of while taking Flixotide. Also check with your doctor about any kind of OTC, prescription medicines or herbal medicines that you might be taking.
Things to remember:
- This drug is not recommended for patients below the age of 4 years of age
- If your breathing suddenly becomes more complicated after you have used your Flixotide Diskus, you will need to use a 'reliever puffer' and you should consult your doctor immediately
|US Brand Name||Flovent|
|Generic Name||Fluticasone Propionate|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.