About the drug:
Fluticasone Propionate belongs to a group of medications called corticosteroids. This medication is used to control symptoms of allergic and non-allergic rhinitis. It is prescribed for the people of age 2 years or above.
Uses of the drug:
- Flomist is recommended for the use of treating the symptoms of allergic and non allergic rhinitis including hay fever in adults.
- This medicine is available in the dosage form of nasal spray and reduces the symptoms of seasonal allergies such as stuffy, runny, or itchy nose; sneezing; and red, itchy, or watery eyes. Sometimes Flomist Nasal Spray is also referred to as Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray.
Working of the drug:
Flomist contains steroids that work by decreasing the discomfort caused by allergy, inflammations and immune system responses.
Flomist Nasal spray is the product of Cipla, a leading pharmaceutical company. This drug is available in various pack sizes and you can buy Flomist Nasal spray online from alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths
The drug is available in the form of Nasal spray in the following strength depending upon the active ingredient that is Fluticasone Propionate:
Flomist Nasal spray 50 mcg
Before taking this drug:
• Do not take the drug if you:
- Are allergic to Fluticasone Propionate
- Are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding mother
- Any other kind of ongoing allergies
- Tell your doctor if you:
- Have severe liver problem
- Have extreme nasal problems
- Have concomitant skin infections, etc.
How much to take the drug?
The dosage of this drug varies according to the age group for which it is suggested and the condition of the patient. The drug should be administered through intra-nasal route. The usual recommended dosage is:
• For adults and children (12 years and above):
Two sprays in each nostril once a day, preferably in the morning. Once the symptoms are relieved to a certain extent the dosage may be decreased to 1 spray in each nostril. Maximum is a total of 8 sprays per day.
• For children (4-11 years)
The usual dose is 1 spray in each nostril once a day. If severe cases are found, then the dose may be increased up to 2 sprays in each nostril. The maximum is a total of 4 sprays.
• Safety and efficacy in children younger than 4 years of age have not been established
Your doctor is the one who decides the right dosage. Therefore the drug must be always taken as recommended by the doctor or physician.
How to use the drug?
- Gently blow your nose to clear your nostrils
- Shake the container well
- Remove the cap
- Before using the spray for the first time, shake the bottle well and spray it in the air 5-6 times to get a uniform mist.
• Then follow the steps:
- Tilt your head and place the nozzle of the spray on the side of the nose
- Press the button to spray the medication while breathing inside the nose
- Remove the nozzle
- Breathe out through the mouth
- Repeat the steps for the other nostril
- Wipe the nozzle with a clean cloth, replace the dust cap and store in an upright position
Take your Flomist dose at the same time each day. Taking it at the same time each day helps you remember the dose. You should try to take this drug even when you are asymptomatic. It will then become a part of your daily routine. Take your doctor’s advice about the time of dosage. You can buy Flomist Nasal spray online from alldaychemist.com.
For how long to take it?
As maximum relief may only be obtained after 3 to 4 days after initiation of treatment, it is important to explain to the patient not to expect an immediate effect. This medicine controls your condition, but does not cure it. It is important to continue taking your medicine even if you feel sound. Do not stop the drug without doctor’s advice.
Too much Flomist may cause discomfort to you. In such a case, try to visit the nearest health care center or call the emergency helpline number.
If you forget the dose, do not panic and take it as soon as you remember, but as long as if it is at least 12 hours before your next dose. Do not double up the dose for the missed one.
Side effects of the drug:
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following:
- Rounded face
- Tongue irritation
- Loss of bone density
- Pain, burning, irritation or dryness in the inside of the nose
- Nasal ulceration
- Feeling that your heart is racing
- Adreno-cortical suppression.
In such cases you must go for immediate medical help. Do not get alarmed by the list. You may /may not experience all of them.
Common drug interactions:
Some of the drugs may interfere with the working of Flomist like:
“Azole" antifungal (Ketoconazole, Itraconazole, Voriconazole)
You should therefore ask your doctor about the full list of the drugs to be avoided or that you should be careful of while taking Flomist. Also check with your doctor about any kind of OTC, prescription medicines or herbal medicines that you might be taking.
- Things to remember:
- Change this medicine if the bottle is opened before 30 days as the drug might not be suitable to use after 30 days
- Never let the medicine to enter into your eyes, if this occurs then flush your eyes with the tap or cold water for many minutes
- Do not give the medicine to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you have
- Always store the medicine in upright position
|US Brand Name||Flovent|
|Generic Name||Fluticasone Propionate|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.