Out Of Stock
About the drug:
Hydroxyurea is sold under the brand name Hydrea and is a prescription drug. It is used in the treatment of various types of cancer.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is used to treat chronic myelogenous leukaemia, psoriasis, , melanoma, ovarian cancer and certain neck and head cancer. The medicine can also be prescribed to people with sickle cell anaemia and also to treat polycythemia vera which is a disorder of the bone marrow.
Working of the drug:
The medicine belongs to the class of drugs called antimetabolites. It works by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells in the body and also by helping in preventing the formation of abnormal red blood cells.
In case of sickle cell anaemia the medicine works by reducing the need for blood transfusion and also by reducing the frequency of painful sickle cell anaemia.
In case of polycythemia vera the medicine works by reducing the red blood cell mass.
Hydrea is manufactured by Corden Pharma Latina S.p.A.. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Hydrea 500mg online visit alldaychemist.com
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of tablets under the following brand name and strength on our website:
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you:
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant as it may harm the unborn baby
- Are breastfeeding your baby as the medicine may also pass into the breast milk and thereby harm the baby
- Are allergic to the ingredients of the drugs
- Have low white blood cell counts, severe bone marrow depression, severe anaemia or low blood platelet levels
- Are a child unless otherwise prescribed by the doctor
- Are taking stavudine or didanosine
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have HIV/AIDS
- Have Kidney/Liver disease
- Are allergic to any medicine
- Have been treated with radiation or chemotherapy
- Are taking any non prescription or prescription medicine, dietary supplement or herbal preparation
- Have allergies to foods, medicines or other substances
- Have folic acid deficiency or anaemia
How much to take the drug?
The dosage of the medicine will be determined by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. It is to be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Usually one medicine is taken per day and certain cases medicine is taken once every three day. The dose of the medicine will be determined based on your weight, age, medical condition and also response to treatment.
How to take the drug?
The medicine comes in capsule and is to be taken as a whole without chewing, crushing or splitting the capsules. It is to be taken by mouth with the help of water. Taking the medicine at the same time each day will help you to remember the dose each day.
For how long to take it?
The dose should be continued for the time as prescribed by your doctor. Even if you feel that your condition has improved you must not stop the medicine and complete the dose.
The symptoms of an overdose of the medicine may include redness, pain, scaling on feet and hands, and swelling. Sores in throat and mouth and darkening of the skin may also happen. If you suspect an overdose you must get medical attention immediately.
missed dose should be taken immediately if it is not close to the next dose. However, you should stick to your original schedule if the time of the next dose is near.
Side effects of the drug:
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if the following symptoms become severe:
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhoea
- Weight gain
- Pale skin
- Sores in the mouth or throat
- Mild dizziness
- Hair loss
- Darkening of the skin or nails
Inform your doctor in case you face any of the below serious side effects:
- Shortness of breath
- Fast heartbeat
- Extreme tiredness or weakness
- Itching, pain, redness, swelling, blisters, or sores on the skin
- Ongoing pain that begins in the stomach but may spread to the back
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Flu-like symptoms
- Pain in the upper right part of the stomach
- Numbness, burning, or tingling in the hands or feet
- Painful or difficult urination
- Severe headache
- Signs of a severe allergic reaction
Common drug interactions:
It is important to tell your doctor about all non prescription, prescription drugs that your are taking especially if you are taking the below:
- Infergen, Intron A, Betaseron, Avonex, Actimmune and others
- Anturane (sulfinpyrazone)
- Certain AIDS/HIV medications such as Zerit, Crixivan or Videx
- Medications that suppress the immunity system like Imuran, Cyclosporine, Prograf, Rheumatrex or Rapamune
Things to remember:
- Taking Hydrea can cause dizziness. The situation may worsen if taken with alcohol. Hence, the medicine should be used with caution especially if you are involved in activities that require high alerts
- Taking the medicine can reduce the ability to fight infection. Hence, it is advisable to avoid being in contact with people suffering from any infection or cold
- The medicine may also lower the number of clot-forming cells in your blood. Hence, it is best to avoid activities that may result in injury or may cause bruising.
- It is advisable not to receive a live vaccine when taking Hydrea unless otherwise stated by the doctor
- Store the medicine properly away from moisture and also away from children. Do not use any medicine after the expiry date is over
- Some people tend to suffer from secondary leukaemia or skin cancer after taking the medicine. Inform your doctor in case you notice any change in our body
- If you receive any emergency care, dental care or if you have to go for surgery inform your doctor that you are taking the medicine
- Folic acid supplement may be provided to you to be taken with the medicine. You must follow the instruction of your physician as to how to take it