About the drug:
Lamivudine is an antiviral drug that prevents the human immunodeficiency virus or HIV and Hepatitis B virus from multiplying in your body. This medication is prescribed for the prevention of HIV which causes the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome or AIDS. Lamivudine is sold under various trade names, like Lamivir (made by Cipla).This medicine may also be prescribed for treatments not mentioned here.
Uses of the drug:
This drug is approved for use in the treatment of HIV infections. The drug is only effective in preventing the multiplication of HIV. Lamivudine will not cure your body of HIV. You can still spread the virus to other people through infected blood (via needles, razors, tooth brush) or through unsafe sexual practices (ensure proper barrier contraception). You must take care about these things and employ proper measure so as not to spread the virus.
Working of the drug:
Lamivudine inhibits reverse transcriptase of HIV and prevents the proper transcription of the viral DNA. It inhibits the HIV reverse transcriptase enzyme competitively and act as a chain terminator of DNA synthesis. The chain elongation process is inhibited and finally the viral DNA growth is inhibited
Lamivir 100 mg is manufactured by Cipla, India. You can buy Lamivir 100 online at alldaychemist.com.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strengths on our website:
- Lamivir 100 mg tablet
- Lamivir 150 mg tablet
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to this drug or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- Are pregnant, take all the medicine for HIV prescribed by the doctor, to prevent the spread of HIV to the unborn baby.
- Are breastfeeding or planning to breast feed
- Have narcolepsy
- An enlarged prostate
- Are under 18 years of age
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have blood pressure kidney problems
- Have serious liver problem
- Have serious heart complaint
How much to take the drug?
Lamivudine dosage may depend on a range of factors like age, sex, drug allergies, or seriousness of the condition among several other factors. Your dosage will be determined by your doctor after examining you properly. Remember to follow your doctor’s advice properly for best results. Always take the drug dose as prescribed by the doctor only. Never change the dosage, start, or stop using the drug without doctor’s permission. Always complete the dose.
How to take the drug?
Take Lamivudine HIV/AIDS medication (Lamivir) strictly according to your doctor’s direction or according to the instructions on the medication label. Do not alter the dosage unless your doctor advises you to do so. Also, do not take this medication after the prescribed period is over. All medications come with a patient leaflet. Refer the instructions in them for detailed information on that particular medication.
You may take Lamivudine with or without food. HIV/AIDS is treated with a combination of drugs. Always take the prescribed drugs as directed by your doctor. Store this medication in a cool and dry place.
For how long to take it?
Lamivudine controls the multiplication of HIV but does not cure the problem. Take the drugs as long as your doctor recommends you to take it.
In case of an overdose of Lamivudine, get emergency medical attention or call the Doctor immediately.
If you miss a dose of Lamivudine, take it as soon as you remember. Don’t take the missed dose if the time to take the next dose is almost up. Taking multiple doses near to each other can lead to excess medication in your body which can be harmful.
Side effects of the drug:
- Some common side effects of Lamivudine are nausea, headache, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, or diarrhea. If any of these effects persist or deteriorate, seek medical attention right away.
- Some people may experience a deteriorating of a previous medical condition as their immune system recovers, or develop new conditions due to overactive immune system. Let your doctor known right away if you develop any new condition or any of you existing conditions worsen.
- Lactic acidosis has been observed in some people who took Lamivudine. Initial symptoms of lactic acidosis may deteriorate over time and can prove fatal. Hence you must get medical attention right away on first signs of lactic acidosis such as muscle pain or weakness, numb or cold feeling in the limbs, breathing trouble, stomach pain, or nausea with vomiting.
- Lamivudine can also cause severe or life threatening damage to your liver or pancreas. Seek medical attention right away if you have any of the following symptoms of liver or pancreas damage: sever pain in upper stomach which advances to the back, nausea and vomiting, fast heartbeats, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay colored stools, or jaundice.
- The side effects mentioned above are not the only ones that you may experience or witness due to Lamivudine. If you get any serious side effects due to this medication, contact your doctor right away.
Common drug interactions:
Certain drugs like interferons (Intron, Betaseron, Avonex, Rebif, Extavia, Alferon, Rebetron, and others) can interact with Lamivudine. However, these are not the only drugs that can potentially interact with Lamivudine. There can be others. You must inform your doctor about all the medications which you may be taking. Never start a new medication without proper medical advice.
Things to remember:
Avoid alcohol as it can increase the likelihood of side effects of Lamivudine
Do not share your medicine with anyone else
Store the medicine in a cool and dry place
|US Brand Name||Epivir|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.