Out Of Stock
|Manufacturer||Dr. Reddy, India|
About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Lovastatin. It belongs to a family of drug called HMG CoA reductase inhibitors. It is mainly used to control bad cholesterol in your body.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is mainly used to lower low density lipoprotein i.e. bad cholesterol in your body. High levels of LDL can result in several adverse health conditions such as heart attack, stroke, other heart complications in people with coronary heart disease, diabetes, or other risk factors.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by lowering low density lipoprotein and triglycerides in the blood. At the same time it worked by increasing high density lipoprotein or good cholesterol in the body.
The manufacturer of Lostatin - 10mg is Cipla, India. You can purchase Lostatin 10 mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strengths:
- Lostatin - 10mg
- Lostatin - 20mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients of the drug.
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have a history of liver or kidney disease
- Have diabetes, thyroid disorder
- Are in the habit of taking alcohol regularly
- Are taking any other medicines
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
Lovastatin dosage depends on several factors such as age, weight, severity of condition, response to treatment, drug interaction and so on. The dosage will be fixed by your doctor after examining you thoroughly.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is to be taken by mouth with the help of a glass of water. Follow the instruction of your doctor while taking the medicine and do not alter the dose. Also do not take the medicine after the prescribed period is over.
For how long to take it?
The medicine is to be taken for the entire length of time and should not be stopped in between without consulting with your doctor.
In case of overdose of the medicine you must get medical attention as soon as possible. Overdose of medicine can lead to various side effects and it should be avoided as much as possible. Overdose of medicine does not lead to speedy recovery on the contrary it may cause harm to the body.
If you miss a dose of Lovastatin then you must take it as soon as you remember provided it is not close to the missed dose. You must not double dose to compensate for the missed dose. Taking the medicines at the same time each day will help in not missing any doses.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicine include:
- Yellowing of eye and skin
- Severe stomach or abdominal pain
- Dark urine
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Unusual fatigue,
- Muscle pain
You must consult your doctor in case the side effects persist or becomes serious. This is not a complete list of side effects that may happen. There may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
There are certain drug which when taken with Lovastatin increases or decreases the working of the medicine. There are some medicines which should not be taken together as it may result in drug interaction. Some of such medicines are
- Medicines that contain niacin, conivaptan
- Drugs that are known to lower immune system such as steroids, cancer drugs or immunosuppressive drugs that is used after organ transplant
This is not a complete list of medicine that may interact. There may be other medicines as well.
Things to remember:
- Antacids should not be taken without the doctor’s advice when taking this medicine.
- Avoid a high fat diet and follow the diet fixed by your doctor
- Use the medicine only for the purpose mentioned and not for any other purpose.
- Do not share your medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat, light and moisture and also from the reach of children and pets.
- You must exercise regularly along with taking the medicines as per the instruction of your doctor.
- If the symptoms do not improve even after taking the medicines for substantial period of time then you must visit your doctor again.