Minoxidil is a drug that is used to stimulate the hair growth and is given in the treatment of male pattern baldness. This drug is mostly effective in the people who are below the age of 40 years. This drug does not cure baldness but it can slow down the effect on receding hairlines. Male pattern baldness or Androgenic alopecia is a result of androgen imbalance in the body. There is thinning of hair on the top of the head. Minoxidil is available in the topical solution dosage form. This type of dosage form gives the following advantages:
The ailments it is used for:
Minoxidil solution and other topical forms are pharmaceutical products given for the treatment of Male pattern baldness. This also helps in hair growth in women with thinning of hair.
Understanding the drug Minoxidil:
How it works?
Minoxidil comes as a liquid that is to be applied on the scalp. Minoxidil promotes hair growth by:
- Shortening the telogen phase and causing premature entry of resting hair follicles into Anagen phase
- Prolonging the Anagen phase and inducing the increase in the size of hair follicles.
- improving the viability of hair follicles
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Minoxidil if you:
- Are hypersensitive to Minoxidil or any of the other ingredients in it
- Have any kind of allergies
- Have scalp diseases like cuts/wounds or eczema on scalp
- Have a heart related problems
- Have damaged, irritated or sunburned scalp skin
- Have asthma or any other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Are breast feeding
- Are 18 years or below this age
How much to apply?
Follow the instruction given on the package or prescription label. Always apply the dose as instructed by the doctor. Generally, 1 ml or use 20 drops of Minoxidil lotion is applied on the bald area.
What are the strengths available?
Minoxidil is available in following strengths at our website:
- Tugain 5% (60 ml)
- Mintop lotion 2% (60 ml)
- Coverit 2% (60 ml)
Who is the manufacturer?
Tugain 5% (60 ml)
1,3 and 6 bottles
Mintop lotion 2% (60 ml)
Dr Reddy’s laboratories
1,3 and 6 bottles
Coverit 2 %( 60 ml)
1,3 and 6 bottles
How to apply?
Always apply the lotion as instructed by the Doctor. Go through the instruction manual given along with the lotion. Apply 1 ml of the lotion on the affected scalp areas. Part your hair into two parts and then apply the solution evenly on the scalp Always wash your hands before and after using the lotion. Don’t use more than 2 ml the lotion in one day. Apply carefully and avoid getting the lotion in the eyes, nose or mouth.
When to apply?
Always take the Minoxidil as instructed by the Doctor. Apply the lotion twice a day.
For how long should it be taken?
Apply the lotion as long as recommended by the doctor. Usually it is recommended that the drug Minoxidil must be used for at least 4 months and possibly for 1 year. Sudden discontinuation of the treatment can cause falling off the newly grown hair within a few months. Consult your doctor about the total time span of using Minoxidil.
What if you apply too much (overdose)?
Generally, there are no chances of overdose of the Minoxidil as it is a topical solution. If excess lotion is applied or in case you feel any kind of discomfort then immediately contact your doctor. Headache, redness and warmth of the affected area may takes place when applied lotion in excess.
What if you miss the dose?
Try to apply the medicinal lotion at the same time each day; this reduces the chances of missing dose. In case you miss the dose, forget it and take the next dose on the correct time period. Don’t double up the dose in order to catch up the missed one.
What are the side effects?
Minoxidil is very effective and potent lotion used to treat male pattern baldness but like every medicine, it also possesses some side effects. This is not necessary that each individual will encounter them.Some common side effects are listed below:
- Redness and flaking of the skin
- Headache and irritation
- Allergic reactions like breathing problems
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- Swollen lips, face and tongue
- Irregular heartbeat
Are there any possible drug interactions?
Always tell your doctor about the medicines you are taking. These medicines might interact with Minoxidil and cause serious allergic reactions. Doctors will provide you a list of the drugs that will interact with Minoxidil and can bring changes in its therapeutic efficacy. Avoid the application of the other topical solution while using the Minoxidil solution.
What are the things to be taken care of?
- Always apply the lotion in the correct amount as prescribed by the doctor
- Don’t use the expired topical lotion
- keep it away from fire as this lotion is flammable
- Pregnant women should avoid coming in contact with the drug
- Seek medical help if you experience any unusual conditions
- Apply the drug regularly to get the desired effect
|US Brand Name||Rogaine|
|Strength||2% (60 ml)|
|Manufacturer||Dr. Reddy, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.