About the drug:
The active ingredients of the drug are Ethinyl Estradiol and Norgestrel. It is a birth control pill.
Uses of the drug:
The medicine is mainly used as a contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by preventing release of a female egg or ovulation from the ovaries. It causes changes in uterine and cervical lining. This makes the cervical mucus more viscous making it harder for male sperms to reach the uterus. It also makes it harder for a fertilized egg to get attached to the uterus wall.
The manufacturer of Ovral G - 0.5 + 0.05 mg is Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, India. You can purchase Ovral G - 0.5 + 0.05 mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength:
- Ovral G - 0.5 + 0.05 mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients.
- Have recently delivered a baby or if you are pregnant
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have kidney or liver disease
- Have high blood pressure
- High cholesterol, obesity
- Suffered from depression in the past
- Have gall bladder disease
- Have hypothyroidism, diabetes, seizures, tuberculosis, irregular periods, and a history of fibrocystic disease in breasts, an abnormal mammogram or any other diseases
- Are taking any other medicine
- Are allergic to any other medicine
How much to take the drug?
The dosage of the medicine will be fixed by your doctor and it needs to be followed strictly for the medicine to function properly.
How to take the drug?
The first pill needs to be taken on the first day of the period or on first Sunday after that. One pill needs to be taken every day and it is to be ensured that there is a gap of 24 hours between two pills.
For how long to take it?
The medicine is to be taken for the entire prescribed period of time and should not be stopped in between as it may lead to adverse effect in the body.
In case of overdose of the medicine you may experience symptoms such as vomiting, nausea and vaginal bleeding. Take the medicine only in the prescribed quantity as recommended by your doctor. In case of overdose of the medicine get in touch with your doctor at the earliest.
In case of missed dose you must take two medicine on the day you remember After that continue with taking one pill each day. If you skip two pills in the first and the second week, then have two pills each day for two consecutive days. After that continue with taking one pill each day. If two pills are skipped in the third week as well then discard the rest of the pills and start with a new pack the same day if you are a Day 1 starter. If you have started the pill on Sunday then continue the pill till Sunday and then open a new pack that day and discard the old one.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects that one might experience after using the medicine are:
- Breast tenderness
- Unexpected weight changes
- Swelling in limbs
- Vaginal spotting
- Missed or irregular periods
The above side effects may subside after some time. If the side effects continue then you must get in touch with your doctor.
Some of the serious side effects of the medicine include:
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Heart attack
- Sudden breath shortness
- Jaw or left arm
- Pain in chest
- Unexpected sweating
- Sudden giddiness or fainting
- Bloody cough
- Vision or speech problems
You must get in touch with your doctor in case of the above serious side effects. This is not a complete list of side effects that may happen. There may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
There are certain drugs which may interact with Ethinyl Estradiol and Norgestrel and increase or decrease the effectiveness of the medicine. Some of such medicines are:
- An antibiotic or tuberculosis medication
- Drius used in the treatment of HIV, hepatitis C or AIDS
- St John’s Wort
- tranexamic acid
This is not a complete list that may interact. There are other medicines as well. You must inform your doctor about the medicines that you are taking currently so as to avoid any drug interaction.
Things to remember:
- Do not share the medicine with anyone even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms.
- Use the medicine only for the purpose specified and not for any other purpose.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry pace away from heat, light and moisture.
- You may need an alternate birth control method during the initial period of starting the medicine
|US Brand Name||Ogestrel|
|Strength||0.5 + 0.05 mg|
|Generic Name||Norgestrel Ethinyl Estradiol|
|Manufacturer||Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.