Intalith CR 450 mg
Out Of Stock
|Generic Name||Lithium Carbonate|
|Manufacturer||Intas Pharmaceuticals, India|
About the drug:
The drug belongs to the class of drugs known as antimanic agents. It mainly works by moderating the activity and levels of chemicals in the brain. The main ingredient of the medicine is Lithium Carbonate.
Uses of the drug:
The drug is mainly used to prevent and treat mania episodes in people with bipolar disorder. It is also used in the treatment of schizophrenia, depression, eating disorders, impulse control disorders and also certain mental illnesses in kids. The medicine can be used for several other purposes too.
Working of the drug:
Mania is basically abnormal excitement that may lead to undesirable behaviours. The medicine works by moderating the activities and levels of chemicals in the brain.
Alkalith CR is manufactured by Intas Pharmaceuticals, India. The drugs are available on our website under various pack sizes. To buy Alkalith CR 450mg online visit alldaychemist.com
Dosage form and strengths:
The drug is available in the form of tablets under the following brand name and strength on our website:
- Alkalith CR 450 mg
Buy Alkalith CR 450 mg online at discounted price.
Before you take the drug:
Do not take the drug if you are:
Allergic to the main ingredient Lithium Carbonate or to any other ingredient of the drug.
- Pregnant or planning to be pregnant
- Breast feeding your baby
- Less than 12 years of age
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have heart disease
- Have kidney disease
- Have thyroid disease
- Have organic brain syndrome
- Ever had fainting without explanation
- Are suffering from any other illness
- Are allergic to any other medicine
How much to take the drug?
The dose will be determined after doctor examines you thoroughly and also after understanding the severity of the condition along with several other factors. Usually the dose varies between 900 to 2,400 milligrams (mg) of lithium daily to be taken in divided doses as per the instruction of your doctor.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is to be swallowed as a whole with the help of a glass of water. Never chew split or crush the tablets.
For how long to take it?
Use this medicine for exactly the period for which it has been prescribed. Do not stop or discontinue the medicine in between without the consultation of your doctor.
In case you suspect an overdose you must get in touch with emergency medical help immediately.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is time for the next dose then you must skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicine which usually fades away after some time include:
- Loss of appetite
- Change in weight
- Excessive saliva in mouth
- Mild thirst
- Dry mouth
- Swollen lips
- Change in the ability to taste food
- Muscle or joint pain
- Itching or rash
- Hair loss
- Extreme discomfort in cold temperatures
If such side effects become serious then you must consult doctor immediately. Also call your doctor immediately in case you suffer from some serious side effects such as:
- Excessive thirst or sweating
- Excessive urination
- Unusual fatigue or weakness
- Slow, jerky movements or movements that are difficult to control
- Frequent urination
- Blackouts or fainting
- Crossed eyes
- Chest tightness
- Confusion or hallucinations
- Pounding inside of head
- Slurred speech
This is not an exhaustive list and there may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
You must tell your doctor about all non-prescription, prescription drugs, herbal medicines, health supplements that you are taking currently so that drug interaction can be avoided.
Some of the medicines that may interact are:
- Acetazolamide (Diamox)
- Antacids such as sodium bicarbonate
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol)
- Calcium channel blockers such as diltiazem (Cardizem, amlodipine (Norvasc), isradipine (DynaCirc), nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia) and so on
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors such as lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), benazepril (Lotensin), perindopril (Aceon), ramipril (Altace), trandolapril (Mavik) and so on.
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol)
- Medications for mental illness such as haloperidol (Haldol)
- Potassium iodide
- Methyldopa (Aldomet)
- Metronidazole (Flagyl)
- Theophylline (Theolair, Theochron)
This is not an exhaustive list and there may be other medicines as well.
Things to remember
- It is advisable not to change the amount of salt in your diet while taking the medicine as any change can alter the amount of lithium in your blood.
- Always remain hydrated as there is increased risk of becoming overheated while you are taking the medicine.
- Do not share the medicine with any one even if the person is suffering from the same symptoms
- Store the medicine in cool and dark place away from heat, light and moisture
- Use the medicine only for the purpose specified and not for any other purpose.