Anticonvulsants are the drugs used to prevent seizures or convulsions. These medicines are used to reduce the occurrence of various types of Epileptic Seizures/Epilepsy. The anticonvulsants are also known as antiepileptic drugs. Although, all epileptic seizures are not convulsions, and all convulsions are not caused by epileptic seizures.
Sometimes the word ‘fit’ is often used to describe the seizures and convulsions.
Convulsions are the symptom of epileptic seizures. Hence, these two term convulsions and seizures are often used as synonyms. The anticonvulsant drugs are also used to treat other painful conditions such as Postherpetic neuralgia and Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a medical condition that involves symptoms like:
• Muscle pain • Joint tenderness • Fatigue • Sleep problems • Flu-like systems • Fibromyalgia can be mild, moderate, or severe
Causes of Convulsions:
In most of the cases, the actual cause of the epilepsy is not known. There are certain conditions that may certainly cause epilepsy:
• Strokes • Head injuries • Fevers • Deprivation of oxygen to the brain • Brain infections/meningitis • Brain diseases like Alzheimer’s • Brain tumors • Birth defects
Signs and Symptoms:
Epilepsy and convulsions have a difference as the seizures produced by epilepsy are different from those produced with convulsions. Seizures are divided into different types according to the type of symptoms.
• Absence seizures: these types of seizures are produced as a result of the disconnection of the body from surrounding stimuli. The person may feel the absence from their body, and then they might come back to normal without remembering anything. • Generalized tonic-clonic seizures: these seizures begin with stiffness in arms and legs. The person may fall and start biting his cheeks or tongue. • Partial seizures: the symptoms usually are the jerking fingers and hand movements. Partial seizures may be classified as simple or complex. These seizures begin only one side of the brain and affect those body part ruled by the side of the brain involved.
Adverse effects of the problem:
The most common type of convulsion is known as generalized convulsions. In this type of convulsion, the most common feature is the loss of consciousness that may lead to the condition of the person collapsing. The person in such a condition suffers from a stiff body and jerks continuously. The patient may not be able to stand still, he may fall, bite his tongue or may lose his control over his bladder.
If you are suffering from epilepsy, then it is best to avoid triggers. The patient should avoid:
• Flashing lights • Use of drugs like cocaine and heroine • Video games • Lack of sleep • Withdrawal symptoms of alcohol or particular medications • Low blood sugar levels
Common Anti-convulsant medicines:
Some common anti convulsant medicines are:
• Zeptol • Zeptol CR • Dicorate ER • Mysoline • Zeptol • Topamac • Eptoin • Oxcarb etc.
These drugs are commonly used to control the symptoms of seizures. The anticonvulsant medicines are available online on various online pharmacies.
Myths and facts:
Myth: Epilepsy is contagious
Fact: just like diabetes and asthma, epilepsy is not contagious, i.e. You cannot catch this disease by coming in contact with the person having seizures.
Myth: Epilepsy is a kind of spiritual possession
Fact: Although, most educated people now understand that epilepsy is a medical condition, yet many culture believe that epileptic seizures occur due to spiritual possession. There is still a need to educate people.
Diagnosis of convulsion conditions:
The diagnosis of epilepsy starts with the evaluation of the medical history of the person and his family, some physical tests and other tests like EEG, CT scan and MRI scan of the brain. In some cases, blood tests may also be taken.
The CT scan and EEG etc will be helpful in identification of causes of seizures, the tests may tell the presence of any tumors/clots or other damages to the brain responsible for causing seizures.
Treatment for convulsion conditions:
Medicines: The anticonvulsants or antiepileptic drugs work by reducing the seizures or the activity. Major anticonvulsants are:
Your doctor may adjust the doses of medication to find the treatment that is best for you, and many patients find relief from their conditions if they take their medications regularly. More than 70% of the people who take their medicines regularly may find a huge positive difference in their seizure attacks.
Ketogenic drugs: A rich ketogenic diet is very good for the persons with seizure attacks. The diet is rich in fat and low in carbohydrates which increase the ketones in the body resulting in reduction or complete freedom from seizures. However, the doctor might prescribe a ketogenic diet along with the drugs.
In case your seizure is prolonged, your doctor may give you the dosage of Diazepam intravenously into the rectum. After controlling seizure, you may be given intravenous infusions of Phenytoin for a few hours afterwards to prevent the condition from recurring.
The different types of anticonvulsants have different modes of action. The common mechanisms of anticonvulsant are:
• Enhancement of GABA action and inhibition of sodium channel • Inhibition of calcium channel and glutamate receptors
By working on the sodium and calcium channels, the drug reduces the convulsion and pain signals. All these medicines are available at all leading online pharmacies. So, you can buy the anticonvulsant drugs online at very cheap rates.
Steps to improve the health:
• Pregnant women should not take this medicine, as the drug may cause birth defects • Never take anticonvulsant with any other drug, as it may cause negative drug interaction
Important thing to know:
• Anticonvulsants are not safe for everyone and to avoid the side effects of using these make sure to tell your doctor about the medical conditions you have and the drugs you are taking. • Never try to alter or stop taking anticonvulsants until your doctor advises you to do so because concluding the drug instantly could cause withdrawal symptoms and also makes you prone to redevelop the original problem.