Acid reducers are the drugs used to relieve the pain and irritation produced in the stomach due to high acid content. The acid neutralizers are also known as antacids that neutralize the stomach acid. The antacids are known to provide an instant and short-term relief from the burning sensation due to acidity.
Acid reducers are used for the treatment of various gastrointestinal conditions like:
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Prevention of stress ulcers
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Acid reducers are also known as H2 receptor antagonists. The H2 blockers are required to be taken by mouth, although some of the injectable forms are also available. The H2 blockers work by blocking the action of histamines on the parietal cells of the stomach and thereby decreasing the amount of acid produced by the parietal cells present on the wall of the stomach. Thus, the stomach juices are made less irritating. It relieves the symptoms of burning sensation in the stomach and esophagus.
Causes of Stomach problems:
There are avarious causes of stomach problems. Common causes of acid reflux and other gastritis problems of stomach:
- Several food items are there that can cause stomach abnormalities like citrus, tomatoes, chocolates, garlic, onion and spicy foods
- Being too much overweight
- Eating large quantities of food specially spicy food
- Drinking too much of alcoholic beverages and caffeinated drinks like coffee or tea
- Being pregnant
- Taking aspirin, ibuprofen and certain blood pressure medications
- Too much smoking
- Signs of stomach acidity and gaseous troubles of stomach:
- Some of the common symtoms of acid reflux are as follows:
- Heart burn
- Weight loss
- Dry cough
- Hoarseness or sore throat
You may or may not feel all of the symptoms but most of these symptoms are commonly felt by a patient suffering from stomach ailments.
Adverse effects of the problem:
If acidity or GERD is not controlled then it can result in a huge complicated issue. The complications that can arise due to an uncontrolled acid reflux includes, oesophagitis, esophageal bleeding, ulcers and barrets oesophagus. There is an increased risk of esophageal cancer. Hence, it is very necessary to treat and recover from the GERD or Acid reflux to avoid the serious complications.
- GERD or acid reflux can be prevented if you follow the tips given below:
- Avoid consumption of spicy food
- Eat smaller portion of food at a time
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Keep a gap between the last meal of the day and your sleep time
- Avoid stress and tension
- Avoid medicines such as NSAIDs, and steroids
- Eat more fruits and vegetables etc.
- Common Acid reducer medicines:
- Some common acid reducer medicines are as follows:
You can buy these acid reducer products online from reputed pharmacies. Our website offers various deals and discounts at regular intervals, so the customers can gain benefits from the offers.
Myths and facts:
Myth: Cut back on all proteins
Fact: You should not cut all proteins from your diet, you should only leave aside meat proteins. Having tofu, soy proteins and foods like hummus is always ok.
Myth: Cut all the kind of caffeine such as tea and coffee.
Fact: It is not necessary to cut the tea, you can always enjoy a cup of green tea or herbal tea
Diagnosis of acid reflux problem or GERD:
If you find that you are suffering from acid reflux problems two or more times a week then you need to go to doctor for a thorough checkup. te doctor will ask about the symptoms of the disease and will suggest a few tests such as :
- Barium swallow(oesophagram): to check the narrow oesophagus for any kind of ulcers or problems
- Oesophageal manometry
- pH monitoring
- Endoscopy to check any kind of abnormality in stomach and
- Biopsy can also be done during endoscopy to check the samples of tissues under a microscope
Treatment of acid reflux problem:
Acid reflux problem is a typical condition that requires a proper care of the stomach and the things that the person is eating. The treatment of acid reflux is done by using acid reducer drugs. These acid reducers are used to target the histamine receptor present in the stomach. The acid reducer drugs suppress the gastric acid production in the stomach and maintains the concentration of the acid also. This is the way that several acid reducer drugs keep the heart burn away in a person suffering from acid reflux problems.
Various medicines for acid reflux known as acid reducer medicines are available online, so you can buy these drugs online.
Steps to improve the health:
There are several food items that can provide relief from stomach acidity problems like oatmeal, fennel, chicken and turkey, basil, parsley,asparagus, rice and causcous.
Some of the other points that you musy keep in mind in order to avoid acid reflux are:
- Watch out the kind of foods that you eat and avoid eating acidity causing food items such as caffeines, sodas, chocolates and onions etc.
- Watch out the time when you eat your meal, avoid keep a gap if atleast 2 hours between meal and the time that you hit the bed.
- Eat slowly in smaller proportions
- Keep a record of things that causes you acidity in the stomach
- Avoiding smoking cigrattes can also help as smoking is known to produce stomach problems.
- Ditch the skin-tight jeans and wear clothes that do not put pressure on your stomach
Important thing to know:
- Consult doctor if heartburn lasts for more than three months
- Never take the medicine continuously for more than 14 days
- While buying an OTC antacid or acid reducer look for warning drugs
- Pregnant ladies should avoid the use of the drug so as to prevent any unwanted side effects and complications during pregnancy
- Lactating or breastfeeding mothers should also avoid the intake of antacids, and acid reducers as the safety and efficacy in lactation are not determined