A migraine is a recurrent throbbing or a pulsing headache that typically affects one side of the head and is often accompanied by nausea and disturbed vision. During migraines, people become very sensitive to light and sound. Migraine headaches, which are often misdiagnosed as sinus or tension headaches, are severe enough to interfere with sleep, work, and other everyday activities.
Migraine attacks can cause very high pain and intense throbbing sensation for hours, and the pain can be so severe that you are only able to think of a dark, quiet room or place to lie down.
In u.s., about 12% people are suffering from a migraine. It is three times more common in women than men.
Causes of a migraine:
Although much is still not understood about the migraine causes, researchers feel that environmental factor and genetics play a very important role. They also believe that sometimes serotonin or an important part of the nervous system also plays a very important role in migraines. Many things that can trigger the migraine attacks are:
• Anxiety • Stress • Lack of sleep/food( hunger or dehydration) • Exposure to light or sound • Hormonal changes/birth control pills • Allergy • Exposure to smoke or smoking • Drinks such as alcohol or wine, caffeinated beverages can also trigger migraine attacks. • Physical exertion or sexual activity can also trigger • Foods such as chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, avocado, banana, citrus, onions, dairy products, etc. • Changing weather conditions, including barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature • Intense physical activity including exercise, lifting heavy objects, or sexual activity
Signs and symptoms:
Recurrent severe headaches are the most common symptom, but the severity of the pain and the duration may vary in individuals. The symptoms are:
• Stress and anxiety • Medications: certain medications may increase your chance for a migraine, such as oral contraceptives and vasodilators • Sensitivity to light, sound, touch, or odors • Hormonal changes • Physical activity • Nausea • Vomiting • Loss of appetite • Fatigue • Dizziness • Pale or clammy skin • Blurred vision • Feeling uncomfortably hot or cold
There are four phases of a migraine:
• The prodrome occurs hours or day before a headache. • The aura: immediately precedes a headache • The pain: called the headache phase • The postdrome: the effect followed after the end of the attack
Adverse effects of the problem:
A migraine is a very typical condition to face sometimes; there are certain complications that may arise when we try to ease the migraine pain. These include:
Even if you are taking the preventive medication, you can adopt certain lifestyle changes that can help to reduce the number and severity of migraines. Try to follow the below given points:
• Avoid any triggers that may have triggered you in past • Avoid problem foods and take protective foods • Avoid caffeine • Maintain regular sleep pattern • Limit alcohol intake • Manage stress with yoga /exercise • Wear protective glasses to avoid heavy light exposure • Avoid taking hormonal drugs • Keep a headache diary
Common antimigraine medicines:
There are various antimigraine medicines prescribed by several doctors. You can easily order these antimigraine producs online from our alldaychemist site to avail best offers. Some common antimigraine medicines that can ease the migraine pain are as follows:
• Rizact • Suminat • Naprosyn • Imigran subject
Myths and facts:
Myth: a migraine is just a bad headache
Fact: the truth is that a migraine is a disease, and headache is only a symptom. A headache may have several causes as it is a symptom of various problems.
Myth: a migraine is a psychological problem
Fact: a migraine is not a psychological problem, it is a neurological disorder.
Diagnosis of a migraine:
To diagrnose migraine is very important as it can often be confused with headache. A common phenomeneon or technique used by doctors to identify migraine is explained below:
5, 4, 3, 2, and 1” criteria “recommended by international headache society to diagnose a migraine without aura, it denotes:
• 5/more attacks • 4 hours to 3 days in duration • At least two unilateral location • At least one additional symptom such as nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound
Along with the above given certain, the doctor may recommend a variety of tests to rule out the possible causes of pain with the tests such as blood tests, eeg/ct scan/mri /spinal trap. These and many other tests may also be done to identify the case and to check for any other complication like internal bleeding in the brain, blood clot, stroke or tumor, etc.
Treatment of a migraine:
Migraine treatment focuses on avoiding triggers, controlling symptoms and taking medicines. Anti- emetics may also be employed to avoid vomiting and nausea.serotonin and antidepressants such as tricyclic are given in the case of a severe headache. Herbs and vitamins such as cannabis, butterbur, riboflavin, b12, and melatonin may also prove useful. Botulinum toxin a (botox) is also considered a good option these days.
An account of drugs employed to treat the migraine headaches:
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (nsaids):
These and analgesics reduce pain and inflammation and may help relieve mild migraines a headache. Most are available in both over-the-counter and prescription dosages.
Ergotamines: cause blood vessels to constrict and relieve migraine symptoms rapidly
Triptans: they have several different effects on the brain and its blood vessels and can stop a severe migraine headache very rapidly in many cases.
You can buy these and several other antimigraine medicines online and avail the exciting offers from leading online pharmacies.
Steps to improve the health:
It is very necessary to handle the migraine with utmost care. To help the patient relieve these migraine attacks, a few herbal/home remedies for a migraine headache are:
• peppermint • butterbur • ginger • lime, linden • raw potato cuttings • caffeine and black or green tea • coriander seed • lavender oil • rosemary
Important thing to know:
Medications can help you to reduce the severity and pain caused by migraine attacks. If you have taken a migraine medicine but you are not feeling well then you can ask your doctor to change the drugs as they do not work for you. The doctor may suggest you new antimigraine medicines and may also suggest you some self-help remedies and lifestyle changes. Order the best anti migraine medicines oline from our site today and avail the best prescription and otc drugs in lowest prices.