About the drug:
The active ingredient in the drug is Adapalene. It is a tropical drug that is used in the treatment of severe acne.
Uses of the drug:
The main purpose of the medicine is to treat acne.
Working of the drug:
Adapalene belongs to the class of medicine called retinoids. It mainly works by decreasing inflammation and swelling and also by affecting the growth of cells. It helps the cells to rebuild.
Adaferin Gel - 0.1% is manufactured by Celon Laboratories Ltd., India. You can buy Adaferin Gel - 0.1% (15gm) online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength:
- Adaferin Gel - 0.1% (15gm)
Before you use this drug:
Do not use this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients of the drug.
Tell your doctor if you:
- Are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby
- Are taking any other medicine so that he can check for possible drug interaction
- Are allergic to any skin care products
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to use the drug?
The dose of the medicine depends upon the severity of condition and will be recommended by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. Usually a thin layer of the medicine is applied to the area after cleaning it thoroughly.
How to use the drug?
The area in which the medicine will be applied should be cleaned completely. You should wash your hand too. Dry the skin gently using a clean towel and after that the gel should be applied. A thin layer of gel needs to be applied in the affected area. It is best to apply the gel in evening or night time when you are planning to stay indoors. Also one should not apply any other skin care products after application of gel at least for some time.
For how long to use it?
The medicine is to be used for the prescribed period of time and should not be stopped in between. It is important to note that it may take up to 8 to 12 weeks to notice results. Also during the first few weeks after the medicine is applied your acne may appear worse. This happens as the medicine is working on the pimples that are forming inside the skin.
Overdose of the medicine does not help in improving the situation faster. On the contrary it may result in side effects. Hence overdose of medicine should be avoided. Consult your doctor in case of overdose of the medicine.
It is best to apply the medicine at the same time every day so that chance of missing the dose is rare. In case of missed dose you should apply it as soon as you remember provided the time for the next dose is not very near.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects that may happen when the medicine is applied are:
- Skin redness
- Mild burning
- Worsening of acne
The above situation usually persists for 2-4 days and then it subsides. In case the side effects persist then you must visit your doctor as soon as possible.
In case of serious side effects such as rash, severe allergic reaction, swelling of tongue, throat or face, trouble breathing, severe dizziness and the likes you must get medical help as soon as possible.
The above list is not a complete list of side effects that may happen. There may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
Drug interaction may change the way of how the medicine works and may also result in some serious side effects. It is best to keep a list of the products that is used by you so that you can provide it to your doctor who can check for any possible drug interaction. Here is a list of the products that may interact with the gel:
- Products containing alpha hydroxy acids
- Hair perming solutions
- Products containing glycolic acid
- Alcohol/menthol/lime-containing products
- Abrasive or medicated soaps and cleansers
- Cosmetics and soaps with a strong drying effect
- Resorcinol or salicylic acid
- Products containing sulphur
- Phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine
- Sulfa drugs such as sulfamethoxazole
- Thiazide water pills such as hydrochlorothiazide
This is not a complete list of medicines that may interact. There may be other medicines too.
Things to remember:
- It is best to avoid prolong exposure to sun as it may result in some side effects. Wear a sun screen and wear protective clothes when outdoors.
- Avoid chemical depilatories for hair removal, waxing, electrolysis on the treated area while using the product.
- In case you have used products containing resorcinol, sulfur or salicylic acid recently, then you must use the medicine with caution.
- Use the medicine on the skin only. Do not apply it inside the mouth, nose or inner lip area.
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat, light and moisture.
|US Brand Name||Differin|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.