Out Of Stock
Olmesartan is an Angiotensin II receptor inhibitor is an active ingredient that is used to lowers the high blood pressure or hypertension. This drug relaxes the constricted blood vessels and reduces the high blood pressure. The drug can be used alone or in combination with several other antihypertensive drugs. Hypertension is the major cause of various cardiovascular problems. During systolic pressure rises above 120 mm Hg and diastolic pressure dips below 80 mm Hg. The pressure change above or below the normal BP range really weakens the heart and hinders its normal functioning. Olmesartan also reduces the chances of future cardiovascular health problems.
Understanding the drug Olmesartan:
How it works?
Olmesartan is a prodrug that works by blocking the binding of Angiotensin-II to the receptors. Angiotensin-II has two prime effects:
- Constriction of blood vessels
- Salt and fluid retention in kidneys by forming aldosterone hormone.
Olmesartan stops the formation of Angiotensin-II which in turn causes relaxation of blood vessels or reduces the Vasoconstriction and the secretion of aldosterone.
When should you avoid it?
You should not take Olmesartan if you:
- Have had or have allergy to Olmesartan
- Are Pregnant or breast feeding
- Have diabetes
- Are going to have a surgery ( in such a case surely inform the doctor before going for it that you are taking this drug)
- Have Kidney problems
- Have Heart problems
- Have Liver disease
What are the strengths available?
Olmesartan tablets contain the following four strength combinations of the active ingredient Olmesartan:
Olmesar 20 mg
Olmecip 20 mg
Olmecip 40 mg
Olvance 40 mg
Who is the manufacturer?
Olmesar is manufactured by Macleods, Olmecip by Cipla and Olvance by Ranbaxy, all well known pharmaceutical giants. The drugs are available on our site Alldaychemist.com in various pack sizes of tablets.
How to take?
Olmesartan tablet must be swallowed whole with plenty of fluid. Do not crush or chew it. Do not mix it with any fluid or dissolve it.
How much to take?
Doctor is the one who is going to decide and select a best suitable dose for you. The usual dose starts from 10 mg and can be increased up to 40 mg. It can be adjusted by the doctor depending upon the severity and need of condition of the patient.
When to take?
Olmesartan tablets can be taken with or without food. There is as such no necessity prescribed for the product. It is yet advisable to take this drug at least 4 hours before going to bed as doing this will prevent you getting up from sleep time and again to urinate. It would be best for you to take medicine at the same time each day. It will also lower the chances of missing a dose.
For how long should it be taken?
Olmesartan controls the hypertension but it doesn’t cure it. Take this drug regularly to get the most of the benefits from the drug. It is important to take the drug as instructed by your doctor. Abrupt discontinuation of medicine can cause adverse reactions. So before stopping the drug intake, always consult physician first.
What if you take too much (overdose)?
You may need urgent medical attention. If you take excess of tablets you may experience light headedness, dizziness and have a fast heartbeat.
What if you miss the dose?
Take it as soon as possible if it’s not too late but if it is less than 12 hrs left for your next dose then skip the dose and take your next dose on the scheduled time. Do not double up the dose to compensate for the missed one.
What are the side effects?
All medicines have their side effects, sometimes they are serious but most of the times they are not. You need to consult doctor if following effects are observed such as:
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Dehydration or loss of too much of water
- Decrease in vision or eye pain
- High levels of potassium in blood and its symptoms like muscle fatigue and slow heart beat etc.
- Unusual change in the amount of urine
- Nausea and vomiting
- Flu like symptoms
- Back pain
Are there any possible drug interactions?
The following drugs should be avoided in case doctor prescribes you Olmesartan in order to avoid possible drug interactions:
- Glyceryl trinitrate
- Ciclosporin and heparin can cause hyperkalemia when taken along with Olmesartan
What are the things to be taken care of?
- To avoid dizziness be careful and slow while rising from a sitting or lying position.
- Avoid too much exposure to sun or tanning booths.
- Keep the medicine in a close tight container and out of the reach of children.
- Don’t use the expired drug.
- Keep a complete record of all the medicines you are taking along with this medicine.