About the drug:
The active ingredient of the drug is Metformin Hcl. It is mainly prescribed to treat type-2 diabetes.
Uses of the drug:
The main purpose for which the drug is utilized is in the treatment of type-2 diabetes. It is also used in the treatment of type 1 diabetes as well. Type 2 diabetes is also known by the name insulin independent type-2 diabetes and is the most common diabetes. One of the main reason for this type of diabetes is obesity. Along with medicine, control on diet and doing exercise is also necessary.
Working of the drug:
The medicine works by lowering high blood glucose. This is done by making more use of insulin released by pancreas.
The manufacturer of Glycomet SR- 1000mg is Torent Pharma, India + Sun Pharma, India. You can purchase Glycomet SR - 1000mg online also.
Dosage form and strengths:
This drug is available in the tablet form in the following strength
- Glycomet SR - 1000mg
- Glycomet SR - 500mg
- Glycomet - 250mg
- Bigomet - 500mg
- Glycomet - 850mg
Before you take this drug:
Do not take this drug if you:
- Are allergic to the main ingredient of the drug or to any other ingredients.
- Are pregnant or planning to be pregnant or breast feeding your baby
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have severe kidney problem
- Have severe infection
- Have dehydration
- Have blood clots or pancreatitis
- Are facing breathing difficulties
- Are taking any medicines
- Are allergic to any medicines
- Are suffering from any other ailments
How much to take the drug?
The recommended dosage depends on several factor and will be decided by your doctor after examining you thoroughly. Usually adults are recommended with the dose of 500 mg 1-2 times a day. The maximum dosage that can be given on a day is 1000 mg.
How to take the drug?
The medicine is to be taken by mouth with a glass full of water. Along with the medicine a well balanced calorie controlled diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables should be taken.
For how long to take it?
Continue to take the medicine for the prescribed period of time and avoid stopping the medicine in between as it can cause adverse effect in the body.
Overdose of the medicine may be harmful to the body and cause several side effects such as
- Weakness, trembling or shaking
- Slow or uneven heart rate
- Fits or loss of consciousness
- Loss of co-ordination
Get medical attention if the situation does not improve.
In case you miss a dose, skip the missed dose if the time for the next dose is near. If there is sufficient gap between two doses then you must take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Never double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Side effects of the drug:
Some of the common side effects of the medicine include:
- Taste disturbance
- Stomach pain
- Rashes and sores
If the side effects persist for long then you must call your doctor as soon as possible. This is not a complete list of side effects that may happen there may be other side effects as well.
Common drug interactions:
There are several medicines which may interact and increase or decrease the working of the medicine. Hence it is best to tell your doctor about the medicines that you are taking currently so that he can check for possible drug interaction. Here is a list of medicine that may interact:
- Vitamins like Vit. B12
This is not a complete list of medicines that may interact. There may be other medicines as well.
Things to remember:
- Store the medicine in a cool and dry place away from heat, light and moisture. Keep away from the reach of children and pets.
- It is advisable not to consume alcohol as it may result in several side effects.
- Elderly people may be recommended a less dose. Hence it is essential to consult a doctor before taking the medicine so that the correct dose is taken.
- Avoid going in the sun when taking the medicine. In case going out in the sun you must wear sun screen lotion and also protective clothes as your skin will become more sensitive when taking the medicine.
- You should take your meals properly and never skip and meals when taking the medicine.
- Keep Metformin hydrochloride readily available.
|US Brand Name||Glucophage|
|Generic Name||Metformin Hcl|
|Manufacturer||USV Ltd., India|
Use spaces to separate tags. Use single quotes (') for phrases.