If you think it is only teenagers who get acne, think again. A good percentage of women who are well into their 20s and 30s suffer from acne as well, and the reasons can vary from hormone fluctuations to stress to an unhealthy lifestyle. Here in this article you will get to know about some foods that prevent acne.
Apart from pills and topical treatments, there are several foods that you can include in your diet to help improve the quality of your skin. It is true that what you eat has an effect on the way you look.
• Nuts – Deficiency in minerals such as selenium and zinc have been proven to cause acne in some people. Nuts are rich in selenium, copper, vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and iron. All these are excellent for a youthful, glowing complexion.
• Avocado – The fruit contains plenty of vitamin E and can be very helpful to enhance your skin’s vitality. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, which can work to decrease inflammation of the skin. Also, eating some avocado every day can go a long way towards improving the ability of the skin to keep it moisturized.
• Red grapes – Both the fruit and the seeds within are loaded with antioxidants and natural chemicals that are very helpful in treating skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis. The fruit is also very good to prevent the side effects of any skin allergy.
• Fennel – The vegetable makes for a great natural skin cleanser. It helps to decrease swelling, enhance digestion and helps to remove toxins from the body. It in turn does wonders to your skin.
• Brown rice – It is a good source of protein, vitamin B, magnesium, and several antioxidants that help to fight off acne, balance hormones and avoid any breakouts.
• Garlic – This is another wonder food that contains a chemical called allicin that helps to fight off many viruses and bacteria and thus help improve your skin.
• Broccoli – Hailed by all skin experts, this is one of the great foods that prevent acne. It comprises vitamins A, C, B complex, E, and K that help fight off any skin damage and improve the texture of the skin.
• Omega-3 fatty acids – Including more of the component in your diet by consuming flaxseeds, walnuts, fish and the like can go a long way towards controlling inflammation and prevent acne breakouts.
• Green tea – Several studies have shown that green tea is great to fight acne. Drink a few cups of green tea in a day. You can also try using cooled tea bags on acne prone areas for a few minutes every day.
• Fruits and vegetables- Most fruits and vegetables naturally contain anti-inflammatory properties and beta-carotene that help to decrease skin oils.
• Turmeric – You can add it to your cooking, salads or tea. It helps fight inflammation and brightens the skin. It is also good to help clean the body of toxins and fight off internal bacteria that cause toxins.
• Oats- Loaded with zinc, it has plenty of acne-fighting properties and is great to help reduce inflammation. It also plays a crucial role in collagen formation and protein synthesis – both of which are necessary to maintain healthy skin. Zinc also helps to decrease sebum production in the skin.
• Tomatoes- Rich in vitamin C, the vegetable helps to keep the skin healthy and firm by helping in collagen formation. They comprise lycopene, which helps to stimulate skin circulation.
• Water- Healthy, clear skin begins from within and the cheapest way to get it is by helping your body remove excess toxins by drinking lots of water. Increasing your fluid intake will help replenish water in your body cells and help you cope with stress better.
There are many other factors too, that contribute to acne; diet is just one of them. Apart from eating healthy and avoiding acne triggers, it is also essential to have a regular regime of exercise and skin care to maintain a glowing complexion. With healthy lifestyle choices and good skin care, you can get rid of acne.