Sleep plays an equally important role as that of diet when it comes to maintaining a healthy body. Good sound sleep has tremendous health benefits as it not only relieves stress but also restores energy. While we sleep, our body tends to repair and rejuvenate the tissues. Sleep problems can be devastating to overall health. It can affect our work performance to our long-term mental and physical health.
However, sleep difficulties are often short lasting and can be improved by themselves in most cases. But in some people, it may require some extra help. It can be frustrating to live with insomnia and other sleep issues, but fortunately, there is a hope. Here are natural sleep aids to help you get a peaceful sleep.
- Avoid caffeine after noon- Many of us are unaware of the fact that caffeine can impair our inability to sleep. It is believed that it takes 4 to 6 hours to metabolize caffeine. However, many of us may take much longer time. Caffeine blocks the action of a chemical adenosine that promotes sleep. Caffeine can be asleep and thus it is always good to not drink caffeine-containing drinks after 3 pm. Think about twice whenever you plan an evening trip to a coffee shop or that dark piece of coffee flavored chocolate you crave.
- Turn off all electronics- It is scientifically proved that using gadgets and other electronic items with bright screens just before going to sleep can it harder to fall asleep. Turn off your Smartphone, laptops, and computers while you are getting ready for bed.
- Read a book– Reading a book can be a pretty good option whenever you find yourself unable to sleep. Consider reading a novel before bed and let the story allow you to sleep.
- Don’t work out at night- An intense workout late at night before falling asleep can increase your energy and you won’t be able to fall asleep. Hit the gym in the morning instead and utilize your energy. The nights are made to relax so hit the bed instead of spending an hour on the treadmill at night.
- Set up a sleep routine- Stick to a proper sleep routine as this keeps your biological clock steady and improves your sleep patterns. Keeping regular hours and a routine is really important.
- Consume sleep-promoting foods– Snacks such as seeds, nuts, grains, and dairy products when taken along with complex carbohydrates such as whole wheat toast, can promote night sleep. A healthy diet plays a vital role in maintaining a healthy body. Avoid spicy foods or aggravating foods as hey can cause indigestion and acidity, which can affect the sleep cycle.
- Drink a hot cup of milk– A cup of warm milk can be an ideal option to induce sleep in the body. Milk has been used for ages to make your bones stay strong.
- Practice yoga and meditation- Practicing yoga can be very beneficial in calming down and relaxing the body. A simple breathing yoga can also help you induce sleep. The benefits of meditation are numerous. It is considered good for maintaining the overall health of your body. Meditating for 10 minutes before going to sleep will help relax your body and induce sound sleep.
- Cover your eyes- Even if your room is dark, there is probably some light that makes its way to your room. So if you don’t have any eye mask, warm, dry cloth and cover your eyes to fall you asleep. It can be the best sleep aid for someone with sleep issues.
We hope that these sleep remedies will help you get your sleep back on track. If these natural sleep remedies don’t help try natural sleeping pills after discussing with a healthcare specialist.