Medical marijuana or cannabis are prescribed by doctors for medical purpose. The use of marijuana as medicine has not been rigorously tested due to production restrictions and other governmental policies. Limited research suggests marijuana can be used to reduce nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy, improve appetite in people with HIV/AIDS and reduce chronic pain and muscle spasms.
Marijuana or cannabis is a psychoactive drug which is obtained from the cannabis plant intended for medical or recreational use. It is also known as weed, herb, pot, grass, bud, ganja, etc and it has various medicinal uses which are now tested for its best uses.
There are various potential benefits of marijuana. Various medical benefits of marijuana are as follows-
- Nausea and vomiting-chemotherapy causes nausea and vomiting and marijuana is a reasonable option for those who do not improve with preferential treatment. Various studies have found marijuana to be more effective than some drugs such as prochlorperazine, promethazine, and metoclopramide in controlling the side effects of chemotherapy. But long-term of using marijuana has its own side effects, so it is used under proper guidance and prescription.
- HIV/AIDS-there are various studies which have shown beneficial effects of marijuana usage in HIV patient, but there are no confirmed proofs of benefits. But marijuana can be used with doctor’s advice for treating anorexia associated with HIV/AIDS.
- Pain-the studies have shown that marijuana helps in relieving chronic pain in several conditions, particularly when it is inhaled. When cannabis is inhaled, blood levels of cannabinoids rise faster than when oral products are used, peaking within three minutes and attaining an analgesic effect in seven minutes. Various studies have proved cannabis to be generally safe and can be used in palliative care, its use appears safer than opioids.
- Neurological problems-various physicians have used cannabis treating neurological problems, including multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and movement problems. Studies of the efficacy of cannabis for treating multiple sclerosis have varying results. There are various evidence which suggests that oral cannabis extract is effective for reducing patient-centered measures of spasticity.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder-there are not much evidence which shows the benefit of cannabis in posttraumatic stress disorder, but many physicians prescribe cannabis for reducing the symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder.
Side effects of medical marijuana
Medical use- There are insufficient data, which shows serious side effects of marijuana. There are some not so serious side effects and they are as follows-
- Cardiovascular effects
- Psychoactive effects
- Increased appetite
The long-term use of marijuana can cause addiction.
Marijuana is used as a recreational substance also. But its long-term use can cause serious effects. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is the principal psychoactive constituent of the cannabis plant, it has low toxicity. Acute effects may include anxiety and panic, impaired attention, and memory (while intoxicated), increased psychoactive symptoms and possibly increased risk of accidents if a person is driving a motor vehicle while intoxicated. So long term can cause addiction and which can lead to various serious conditions, but proper use of medical marijuana can have significant benefits.
Medical marijuana is not legalized in many countries, but it has been legalized various western countries. Various countries are still thinking of legalizing the medical use of marijuana. So if you are thinking of using marijuana first you have to see the laws of your country and then consult the physician for the proper guidance on uses, dosages, and duration of use.
Precautions to take with Marijuana
- It is illegal in various countries, so before using it, get aware of the laws of your countries
- Should be used under proper guidance as it has serious side effects
- Do not use it for a longer duration
- Don’t drive after taking marijuana
- Keep it away from the children and pets.
- Do n’t use it for recreational purpose.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- Top 9 Reasons for Hair Loss in Women - July 13, 2018
- Progynova for Menopause Relief - July 9, 2018
- Careprost Eye Drops – The Ultimate Formula for Eyelash Growth - July 7, 2018