Probably we see both dandruff and dry, itchy scalp with the same view as they look and feel are almost the same. But, there are some basic differences between both the problems. You should understand the nitty-gritty of both the conditions in order to treat them effectively.
When it comes to hair related problems, dandruff or white flake comes in our mind in the very first instance. But, stop! This is not dandruff or white flakes, but dandruff and white flake or dry scalp. Yes, don’t combine both the problems into one, as their nature, causes, and effects are a bit different. Unfortunately, there are many TV ads and commercials that create a misunderstanding between dandruff and white scalp. So, we continue mingling both the conditions and recommended the same solution.
Dandruff Vs dry scalp: The word ‘Dandruff’ is enough to provoke embarrassment. Ask those who are struggling with it. Sometimes, we associate dandruff with itching and white flakes developing on the scalp, but it’s actually not so. The dry scalp causes are identified, in which a fungus (Malassezia) is mainly responsible for that.
On the other hand, dandruff is not caused by dryness, but sebum production is mainly triggering this condition. Experts say that an overproduction of harmless yeast can cause dandruff. In some cases the yeast is boosted by the excess oil and dead skin cells on the scalp, promoting more detachment of skin cells that form the clump of white flakes. So next time you see white flakes on the shoulder, don’t confuse it with dandruff.
Dry scalp causes: The loss of moisture in the skin is found to be the main cause of dry itchy scalp. In other words, dehydrated sebaceous glands increase the possibility of loose, white and powdery flakes. In addition, some other causes like an application of strong chemical soap, cold weather, hard water bath, coercive detergents, and dust can also encourage white flakes to affect hair follicles. The lower water level in the body is another key factor in causing a skin condition like psoriasis.
The application of light scanty oil on the hair follicles could be a cause of concern, but avoiding the natural oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, and olive oil is not a good idea. Take an ideal amount of oil that discourages the development of white scalps. Don’t undermine the importance of your mental and physical condition, it’s necessary to live a healthy life to take care of the health of hair follicles.
Causes of dandruff: Dandruff is typically a sand-like yellowish colored flake that is developed at the hair follicles. The overproduction of sebaceous glands (sebum) intensifies the growth of skin cells, which results in the development of dandruff. You may feel uncomfortable due to itching and irritation as an obvious symptom of the presence of dandruff. Sometimes the hair product sensitivity becomes a cause of dandruff.
The strength of the immune system plays a key role in controlling itching and flaking in the head. You have to be careful about the bad hygiene and chemical-laden shampoos that may cause dandruff. Too much application of chemicals can weaken hair follicles and damage hair too; though the selection of natural and effective hair wash products can check dry scalp causes and keep the follicles healthy.
You should also concentrate on scratching dandruff but be careful not to create wounds in the scalp because it can allow bacteria and fungus to enter the bloodstream that may cause infection and more irritation. Signs and symptoms of itching and small white flakes are very obvious to find.
Treatment of dandruff and dry scalp: To treat dandruff and dry itchy scalp, you have several methods to try. Some of these methods are discussed here as:
- Regular Shampooing- A good selection and regular application of shampoo are very important to get rid of dandruff. A shampoo with the active ingredients like salicylic or coal tar and B vitamins is largely recommended to alleviate dandruff. You can also try shampoos with a little tree oil to enhance its effectiveness. Adding a few drops of tree oil to the shampoo is also a good option.
- Lemon Juice- Lemon is one of the most effective natural products that can scratch dandruff to the hilt. Take just two spoons of lemon juice and mix a little water before applying to the scalp. Regularly apply this juice on your dandruff and dry, itchy scalp until they completely disappear. It’s lemon’s acidity that helps to maintain the pH-amount of the scalp while alleviating dandruff.
- Vinegar- Vinegar has the potential to treat itchy, dry skin and, it helps you kill dandruff-causing fungus and bacteria. It has a good amount of acidic content that can significantly reduce flaking. You can use a mixture of vinegar and water to alleviate dandruff.
- Aloe Vera- The green plant has a number of properties that can help with dry scalp. The anti-inflammatory properties of the plant are extremely beneficial in reducing skin irritation and effectively moisturize the skin. Apply the gel part on your scalp and let it dry for ten minutes before washing it off with water.
- Baking Soda- Baking soda can be a great pick when it comes to treating dryness and dandruff. It exfoliates and moisturizes the scalp. The antifungal properties treat the itchy and flaky skin.
- Olive Oil- The oil is known for its moisturizing properties. It deeply penetrates the skin and provides enough miniaturization to the scalp.
- Tea tree oil- The oil has antifungal, antibiotic and antiseptic properties that can help relieve dry scalp and its symptoms. This is why many hair care products especially shampoos have found to have tea tree oil in them.
- Coconut oil- Coconut has long been used for numerous skin health benefits. When it comes to dry scalp, coconut oil moisturizes the scalp, and its antibacterial properties help reduce the risk of infection. It is also found to be beneficial in treating atopic dermatitis.
These are the natural items for the dry scalp treatment, dandruff that will definitely improve your scalp health.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- Are You Experiencing Lash Fallout More Often? - January 10, 2019
- Few Effective Home Remedies For Chalazion - December 30, 2018
- Best Foods That Reduce The Development Of Acne On The Skin - December 20, 2018