Osteoarthritis is one of a most common joint disorder which often begins and affects people with the age group of 40 and above. In comparison to women, men develop joint pain/osteoarthritis more. Excessive weight raises the risk of developing Osteoarthritis in three different ways.
- Excess body weight puts additional stress on joints like elbow, knee or hips.
- The inflammatory factors connected with weight leads to different problems in other body joints.
- Due to some kind of internal injuries
Weight plays a vital role in joint stress. When you are overweight, it contributes to stress on your joints, especially on the weight-bearing joints (for e.g. the knees and the hips). Health providers state that a single pound of excess weight can exert about 4 pounds of extra pressure on the knees. That’s why people with overweight are at higher risk of developing arthritis in the first phase. And once a person has arthritis, the additional weight of his body causes more problems on already damaged joints.
Timely arthritis treatment or arthritis medication can provide good relief, but it’s not only the extra weight on joints that causes damage to the joints. The fat is also an active tissue that creates and releases chemicals and leads to inflammation. These release chemicals influence the development of osteoarthritis. This effect has been proven in the numerous studies that have been linked to osteoarthritis.
One should keep his/her fat in control to avoid joint stress, especially if you already have osteoarthritis. The extra weight causes strains and damage to joints, shedding those pounds can help you to reduce the chances of arthritis. Losing weight can improve joint health and function to a great extent and reduce the joint pain. A recent study of overweight states that a weight loss of about 12 pounds can reduce the risk of developing knee osteoarthritis by half. It is also recommended to consult your health physician to have joint pain medication if your pain is severe. He may prescribe some effective joint health tablet to you for instant relief.
Exercise and regular activities can also help you to get instant relief from osteoarthritis. Especially, bone and muscle strengthening exercises promote joint health. Try these exercises to build strength in your joints:
- Walking, jogging or running
- Using exercise machines like elliptical and stair-climbers
- Playing tennis
- Doing aerobic exercises
- Doing yoga, Pilates, or tai chi
Obesity Effects: Exercise Precautions
Doing regular exercise and following a healthy diet, the chart can help you to reduce extra pounds by ultimately alleviating pressure on the joints. But you should be very careful while doing exercise otherwise this effort can come with a heavy payoff price if you’re not careful. People, who are overweight, should exercise in the observation of a trainer. Physical therapy plays a vital role to help exercise properly. A physical therapist can exactly describe you how to exercise correctly and also teach you how to deal with any injuries before it becomes major. Following best tactics to do safe exercise can protect you from pain and joint damages.
Here are some simple tips for preventing joint pain and damage while staying fit-
- Don’t forget to wear orthotics if you have a foot problem.
- Do replace your shoes regularly for better support.
- Pay attention and focus on your body and take rest when you feel pain.
- Learn the proper mechanism of walking, jogging and running.
- Go easy and slow in the initial phase of your workouts, and then gradually speed up your workouts.
- Use best joint health supplement to reduce pain
- Follow a joint pain diet to get rid of pain.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- How to Survive a Heart Attack? - March 7, 2019
- Can Constipation Make You Fat? - March 5, 2019
- Few Tips to Choose the Best Doctor for Your Skin Disease - March 1, 2019