Don’t let tree bugs invade your home and ruin your Christmas this season. Take necessary precautions like to shake it out before bringing it to your house to get rid of those unwanted guests.
Almost everyone has prepared for Christmas and ready for the upcoming event, but many of us are unaware of the truth that when bringing lovely evergreen bushes in your home, you also bring unwanted guests like tree bugs. While admiring the beauty of your Christmas tree, bet you didn’t know that your Christmas tree may contain many as 25000 bugs. Well, there is no use to know this little fact now. But with this article, you will let to know how to get rid of tree bugs that have taken over your home.
Christmas tree bugs that you need to deal with
This may sound shocking to you, but this is true, your Christmas tree does get infected with bugs that you need to stop them from coming into your home as soon as possible. You don’t need to get scared of Christmas tree bugs as none of them is going to harm you. In fact, these bugs that are seeing in your house during the Christmas season greatly prefer living outside. These tree insects require moisture and humidity to survive, which they do not get inside to survive, and they die on their own. Some of the bugs that you may see inside Christmas pine are:
- Aphids- It is one of the most common insects we see on plants and trees. These are mainly found in the lower boughs of evergreens, firs, spruces, and pines.
- Spiders- Spiders and mites are found on white pines, spruce trees, and Douglas fir.
- Bark beetles- They are equal to the size of a grain of rice. They are brown, red, and black colors.
- Adelgids- These bugs look like a dusting of snow
- Praying mantises- Another Christmas tree bug which can hatch after several weeks indoors. They are usually light tan color.
- Pine needle scale- Scale insects, are very common in nurseries. They often go unnoticed since they appear to be a natural part of the needle on the tree.
No need to get worried after seeing this long list of bugs because there are pest control sprays available in the market that you can use to get rid of these bugs and still have a glorious Christmas this season.
Tips to get rid of Christmas bugs
Before you bring a Christmas tree at your home, shake it out thoroughly to avoid the entry of unwanted bugs in your house. Shake it vigorously to shed any insects and spiders, if any. Once you have done with shaking, check out the pine needles as well as branches for any lingering aphids, adelgids, or other small insects. It is important to examine the tree branches and trunk for any indications of eggs or bugs. Pines are known for having the most bugs. Look at the trunk too, that small holes with sawdust trails are a sign of bark beetles. Do not bring that tree that seems heavily infected with insect pests.
Once you bring the tree home, do not forget to vacuum regularly around the bottom of the tree. This will help ensure that there are not any bugs left.
Consider keeping the tree in your garage or a place out of your house for at least one day before decorating it. This will allow you to see if any bug is venturing out from the tree. You can also spray some neem oil on your tree to kill Christmas tree bugs in any phases from eggs to adults. Do not use a chemical spray to avoid Christmas bugs as it can pose a serious fire hazard. Therefore, you need to avoid it any cost.
Take these preventive steps to keep your home bug free.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- Best Time of Day for Sex Revealed! - June 19, 2018
- Why Vegetarian Diet Is Advised For Type 2 Diabetes Patients - June 17, 2018
- Myths of Skin Mask Debunked - June 15, 2018