With changes in lifestyle and culture, getting a healthy body size is difficult. Overweight causes obesity-related diseases and heart conditions. Similarly being underweight also has some health risks. It is important to maintain a balanced body weight. People who are thin and have body mass index of less than 18.5 face a lot of health problems. Underweight is also called undernourishment and may cause damage to the bones, heart and brain. According to 2007-2010 data by National center for Health Statistics, less than 2% adults in United States are underweight.
Why are some people underweight?
Physical causes- There are certain types of illnesses or diseases that results in temporary weight loss.
- Hyperthyroidism- The thyroid gland which helps in producing the hormone thyroxine is considered as the conductor of the orchestra of body. Health, metabolism and weight remains balanced if thyroid hormone functions well. When the thyroid functioning gets disturbed, it affects the heartbeat, body temperature and a person automatically experiences weight loss. Symptoms associated with hyperthyroidism are: nervousness, tiredness, increased body temperature, enlarged thyroid gland, thereby causing goitre and increase in heart rate.
- Cancer, tuberculosis and diabetes- Cancer patients experience weight loss, tiredness, nausea and lack of appetite. Tuberculosis is a disease that is common in South Africa. It has been found that the disease may cause weight loss, coughing, malaise and tiredness. People who are diabetic may suffer from either weight gain or excessive weight loss. These people must keep a check on their blood glucose and insulin level so that they do not become underweight or overweight.Also See: How to Increase Your Metabolism?
Many people suffer from psychological problems that result in weight loss. One of the most common problems is depression. Depression not only leads to a reduced appetite but an extreme drop in the weight. Apart from physical or psychological factors, certain medications also suppress appetite. One should avoid excessive exercising as it may disturb the diet plan. People who are stressed due to work or other personal problems automatically eat less which results in weight loss. Gluten allergy or cystic fibrosis are other medical conditions that hamper weight gain. One must try to increase his protein intake and nutrient rich foods diet containing more of calories. Diet plays a major role in weight gain as well as weight loss. Complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy food items are usually recommended for those who are lean or skinny. A skinny person is more prone to the risks of getting osteoporosis and fertility problems. His immunity system is also weak as compared to that of a healthy man. People sometimes also are unable to gain weight due to heredity factors. Just because their ancestors or grandparents had lean figures, the problem gets passed on to the grandchildren. But one should not get disheartened as there are some ways that may help a man to gain weight fast.
Healthy ways to gain weight
- Healthy eating- The fastest way to gain weight is to follow a perfect and healthy diet. Try to drink smoothies, include egg dishes and dairy products in your meals. These foods are good for digestion, provide nutrition and are easy to prepare. Protein intake becomes necessary to recover from illness. Lean meat, fish, poultry, milk, whole grains, eggs, turkey breast, cheese, tofu and beans are the foods which can be taken. For breakfast, one can have an extra slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter or add extra cheese to an omelette.
- Gain weight the right way- Always focus on healthy foods and try to avoid junk foods like fries, sweets, cakes, hotdogs, burgers or pasta. Gaining weight is not a difficult task but one should gain weight the right way. Try to gain weight according to your height and age. High calorie junk foods containing saturated fat and sugar or drinks having fizz should be avoided. These foods may enhance body fats instead of lean body mass. A skinny person should eat at least three meals a day followed by several snacks that may help to gain weight fast.
- Power pack foods- Foods which are good source of calories and nutrients are rich in fats. Nuts, peanuts, peanut butter, almond butter, avocados are healthy sources of fat. Animal fats are a good source of nutrients and contain calories. However, saturated fat increases bad cholesterol. Try to consume plenty of water and drink high calorie juices or high-calorie condiments like mayonnaise, thousand island and Caesar salad dressings. One can have nuts which are a good source of vitamin and proteins. They provide energy and one can also sprinkle nuts as a topping on soups, salads, cereals and ice creams which may provide sufficient fibre, proteins, fats and calories. Try to consume more of dried fruits which are a good source of calories. Potatoes are good for proteins and when it is cooked, try to add flavoured oils, milk, cheese, green chilli, beans or veggies which would provide energy to the body. Use olive oil in salads, another fatty oil which offers a good way to gain weight.
There are other ways as well to gain weight fast like consuming weight gain pills which are readily available in market. Nowadays a lot of websites are selling weight gain pills.
Related: 9 Ways to Boost your Metabolism
Some weight gain pills are shown below:
Body mass 1000 capsule
Kai weight gain capsule
Hayath’s B- gain natural gainer
Vetoll –XL capsule
Exercise is another way to gain weight. One should focus on free weight exercises which are good for large muscle groups. Dumbells are another good option as compared to gym machines. Free weight exercises do not require machines and puts more stress on muscles stimulating the maximum number of muscle fibres. Some weight gain exercises include: squats, dead lifts, bench presses, barbell rows and pull ups.
A healthy diet not only helps in weight loss but also plays a major role in weight gain. Whether you have a lean or plump body mass, your diet should include a healthy combination of fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals. Diet, along with exercise, is the best and effective way to gain weight. So, follow a healthy diet and try to fit as many exerises and outdoor sports activities in your lifestyle as you can.
Know a friend or family member who’s try to gain weight, then please share this blog with them. Also, post comments in case you have any health related queries.
Get useful health tips and remedies regularly, on your Facebook feed.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- Can Careprost Solution Help Regrow Eyelashes? - October 3, 2018
- List of Vitamin a Benefits and Limits for Your Skin - September 25, 2018
- Use Careprost Eye Drops for Fuller Eyelashes - September 21, 2018