There are plenty of benefits of drinking water. Even the doctor says that one must consume eight glasses of water every day. Water maintains the most important place in our everyday lives. If we talk about the study as conducted by the University of Connecticut, it is found that dehydration can easily cause change in a person’s mood, his energy level and the ability to think or concentrate. Women may also find tasks harder to do, but the low-level dehydration won’t hinder the cognitive abilities.
On the other hand, slightly dehydrated men do face problem with the mental tasks and especially those that require memory or attention. Overall we can say that the women seem more susceptible to the dehydration- induced changes in their mood than men.
There are many benefits of drinking water, and we will discuss it, but before that let’s put light on some of the interesting facts about water.
Facts about water
While the benefits of drinking water are many, there are some facts about water too. These facts lie hidden, and many people of today’s generation aren’t just aware of it.
- About three-quarter of the Earth’s surface is covered with the water, where 98% is salt water, and that is unfit for consumption.
- Less than 1% of the water present on the Earth is freshwater and that is readily available for human consumption.
- Human being can survive for one month without eating food but without water it is hard to spend a week or so.
- As noted there are more than 3.4 million people who die every year suffering from water, sanitation and hygiene-related causes. And amongst all deaths, 99% occur in the developing world.
- Our different body tissue contain different amount of water. Like, the body fat has approx 10 percent water, and muscles have 75percent water. However, the ideal total body water percentage for men should be between 50-65% and for women 45-60%.
Also read: Warm Water is the healthy way to go!
Benefits of drinking water
- Relieves fatigue- Feeling fatigue can be due to the reason of dehydration. When there is less water in the body then, there is a drop in blood volume. This reduction makes heart work hard in pumping oxygenated blood out into the bloodstream. This is why other organs work less efficiently. One of the facts about water is that it helps our body to function better and ease fatigue.
- Relieve headache and migraine- As per the studies, drinking water tend to reduce the total number of hours and intensity of headaches. One should drink plenty of water the moment he faces severe migraine or headache.
- Helps in Digestion and Constipation- Drinking water contributes to improving the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract. Thereby, it prevents the problem of constipation and aids digestion.
- Helps in weight loss- As per expert’s saying, drinking eight ounce glass of water prior to meals may contribute to suppressing appetite and supports weight loss. Drinking water fills the stomach and decreases our tendency to eat further.
- Flush out toxins- Water works as a great detoxify that helps to flush out toxins from the body and help us get rid of waste through sweat and urine. Also drinking adequate amount of water promotes kidney function and reduce kidney stones. It dilutes the salt and minerals in the urine that cause kidney stones.
Also read: Healthy Lifestyle Changes for Fighting Fatigue
Water as a mood changer
As per the study discussed dehydration instigates fatigue, mood swings and change in the ability to think and concentrate. Drinking an adequate amount of water do make us feel energised, active and lively. Apart from the health benefits provided by water, there are mood swing medications as well. Not only this, if you sincerely wish to lead a happy, healthy life then try to bring some change in the lifestyle also. Following points will clear all the doubts about how not taking mood swing medications, and changing lifestyle pattern may alter your mood.
- Eat healthy diet, free of any processed food. Check the labels carefully and avoid foods that have refined carbs and sodium as it can create imbalance symptoms.
- Consume more of pure water and green tea.
- Try to cut your caffeine intake and drink less coffee and soda.
- Avoid saturated and trans fats and always pick olive oil and canola oil instead.
- Practice massage therapy, yoga and meditation for stress relief.
Also read: 6 Ways to Make Water Tasty
There is no doubt water acts as a life saver for many. One cannot deny the benefits of drinking water. Water apart from its health benefits also serves as changing our mood. So, next time when we are in a bad mood or feel stressed then a glass of water is all we need.