Testosterone is an essential male hormone. Low testosterone levels mean when the level of testosterone in a man drops below the level. Not having enough testosterone can directly affect fertility by causing a decrease in the sperm production and affect fertility by reducing your sex drive, ambition, confidence, ability, and energy.
Testosterone is a male hormone which allows men to produce sperm and to achieve and maintain an erection. Low testosterone can also be called a testosterone deficiency or hypogonadism.
Causes of low testosterone
Some causes contribute to low testosterone production:
- Age can be a risk factor for low testosterone levels in the body. As you age, levels of testosterone decrease and it is a normal condition.
- Testicular injury, surgery, or radiation therapy in the groin area.
- Chronic use of certain medication such as narcotics, and marihuana. Also, chronic opioid use, soy intake, and hormones present in food may also lower testosterone levels in men.
- Having a long-term health problem such as obesity, kidney, or liver impairment.
- Problems associated with the pituitary gland or hypothalamus.
- Excessive alcohol consumption can also contribute to low testosterone levels.
- Testicular cancer can also be the reason behind testosterone deficiency.
Some other risk factors for low testosterone levels include:
- Diabetes mellitus
Testosterone deficiency can also be present at birth. A man should their testosterone levels tested by their health care professional. A blood test is done to determine the level of testosterone in you. A testosterone test is usually done in the morning when testosterone levels are high. Men are advised to be tested twice before reaching to a conclusion. If your health care professional thinks low testosterone could be associated with a health problem, then he/she may perform other tests to evaluate your condition.
Low testosterone and infertility
Low testosterone is not always the reason behind infertility and men. Men with testosterone deficiency can still produce healthy sperm because the production of sperm is mainly stimulated by other hormones. Though low testosterone levels may lead to decrease sperm production. In testicles, where sperm is produced, the levels of testosterone are much higher than the levels in the blood stream.
Low testosterone directly affects fertility is resulting in a reduced sex drive. The problem can also give rise to erectile dysfunction, causing a man to have fewer erections or erections that are not strong or not enough for sexual satisfaction. This makes it hard to reach the climax (orgasm) or have sex often n enough for reproduction.
- Clomiphene citrate
- Human menopausal gonadotropin
Treatment of low testosterone
Treatment of testosterone deficiency may depend on the cause. The treatment should depend on how low his testosterone is and if experience troublesome symptoms that includes:
- Loss of muscle mass
- Reduced sex drive
- Mood swings
- Fewer erections and weaker erections
Before going for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), men should opt for lifestyle changes first.
After you are diagnosed with low testosterone levels, you should tell me sure that you are taking proper care of testicles. This includes keeping them cool. Men are advised not to use hot tubs, saunas, and keep their laptops off of their laps.
Some other lifestyle changes that will help you in balancing your testosterone levels:
- Stop smoking and excessive use of alcohol. It has been suggested that Men who smoke have lower levels of hormone levels as compared to men who don’t smoke.
- Eat a balanced diet. A nutritious diet along with exercise should also help improve testosterone levels in the body.
- Lose some pounds. Overweight can cause your testosterone levels to reduce.
Testosterone deficiency is usually treated with testosterone hormone. This is known as testosterone replacement therapy. You can receive it in different ways, such as in a shot or through a gel or patch on the skin. Another way to encourage a rise in testosterone level is through pills that you swallow. Theses pills area types of medicines that work to raise testosterone levels.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- How to Survive a Heart Attack? - March 7, 2019
- Can Constipation Make You Fat? - March 5, 2019
- Few Tips to Choose the Best Doctor for Your Skin Disease - March 1, 2019