When it comes to healthy eating, salt (sodium chloride) is not considered to be good for health right after sugar. Health care specialists always warn us about the bad impact of consuming too much salt. But some salt is required by our body to function properly.
Salt effect on body
The human body depends on this essential mineral for a variety of functions, which includes the transmission of nerve cells, and the maintenance of blood pressure. Blood sodium levels should be carefully maintained. Consumption of a lot of salt (sodium chloride) will make you become thirsty and drink water, diluting your blood to maintain the concentration of sodium.
This will ultimately make you flush out excess salt and water via urine. A Recent study shows that consuming lots of salt does not cause thirst and can help you burn calories. According to a study, increased salt in an individual’s diet raises glucocorticoid hormone levels, which stimulates fat and muscles break down.
This activity freed up H20 to use by the body. As it causes the body to break down tissue, you begin to burn more calories. However, experts do not recommend going on a high salt diet to lose weight. Because of more calorie burn, extra salt in your food can make your stomach empty, which in turn makes you eat more. Also, glucocorticoid levels may work to enhance your metabolism, but they are associated with metabolic problems like type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, muscle loss, and other associated issues. So, it is important that you eat salt in moderate amount.
Health benefits of salt
Salt (sodium chloride) has been successfully used for the prevention of iodine deficiency diseases. Its use is now being promoted to all over the world, including Australia and Switzerland, where goiter (an iodine deficiency disease) was once prevalent in many alpine valleys, are now free of iodine deficiency disorders due to compulsory iodization of salt for human consumption.
Fluoridation of drinking water helps to control dental problems. It was particularly very successful in 1945 when it was first introduced by Americans for preventing dental caries when fluoride toothpaste and topical applications were not available.
Most of us know that consuming too much salt is not good for health. But consumed in a moderate amount is really beneficial for health. Because of its healing properties, it can be used as an alternative home remedy to treat a variety of ailments including, allergies, asthma, colds, psoriasis, and dermatitis. Take a look below to know how salt can help you in yours every day:
- For cold- The use of a salt inhaler can loosen the mucus that builds up. You can use it daily to reduce symptoms. It draws soothing moisture into the mucus, making it swept out by cilia (the tiny hairs that protect your nostrils and other passages to prevent the entry of foreign particles.
- Useful for skin- Take a salt bath to hydrate your skin. This calming salt bath decreases inflammation, which is a symptom of psoriasis.
- Salt in the bedroom- A salt pillow helps filter the air near the nostrils as well as the mouth while you are sleeping and enhance your breathing.
- Use of salt candles or salt lamps- Use salt lamps or salt candles in your room as these candles emit negative ions into the atmosphere. These negative ions are useful in treating ailments and improve overall health.
Some more salt advantages
Salt (sodium chloride) plays a significant role in transporting carbon dioxide, nerve transmission, amino acid transport, and muscle contraction. It is extremely important for the regulation of blood pressure and blood volume. For decades, salt water has been used as an essential ingredient in medicine. Salt water is extremely beneficial, but note that most of the results are found using natural sea salt, not your ordinary salt.
- Treats constipation-It has been suggested that drinking saltwater can help clean your digestive tract. It is useful in correcting mineral imbalances in your body and help flush out waste material from your body by increasing your need to go to the toilet.
- Improves mental health-Sea salt is rich in minerals, vitamins, and other microorganisms that are known to release helpful bacteria and chemicals that encourage balanced hormone levels in your body. Bathing in sea salt provides peace of mind, relaxes brain muscles, increase energy levels, and ability to manage problems. Other benefits may include improved confidence level, more self-control, and improved ability to focus.
- Good for sagging skin-Regular bathing in sea salt can improve the quality of your skin by increasing blood circulation as well as the flow of essential nutrients in your body. Scrubbing your skin with sea salt can help exfoliate your skin to help improve its glow and tighten your skin. A good ingredient to relax sore and tired muscles.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- How to Manage Digestive Problems? - October 27, 2017
- Dysentery: Causes, Treatment and Prevention - October 25, 2017
- How Eating Healthy Helps You to Avoid Constipation - October 20, 2017