Acne is an annoying skin condition that can hamper an individual life to an extent if not treated on time.
Acne attacks on the skin when the hair follicles become plugged with dead skin cells and oil dirt. Acne usually causes pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. It is the most common skin condition among teenagers, but it can affect people of all ages. Lack of treatment can worsen the skin condition and make a person lose his/her confidence. Acne can be mild to severe; it depends on how you deal with and treat it.
In many cases, it fades away its own in weeks or months. Consultation from a doctor is vital here to avoid skin complications. As per studies, doctors believe that severe acne can make you emotionally week; timely treatment can lower the risk of such problems. When the acne outbreak cannot be eliminated, then the conventional treatment can offer relief. Some acne medications are proven effective to combat acne, i.e., Retin A Gel. This is one of the most prescribed topical formulations by doctors for acne sufferers.
The right treatment inhibits sebum production, encourage the shedding of skin cells to unclog pores or limit bacterial growth. To get rid of acne skin condition, prescription and non-prescription treatments are available and consider the severity of your skin condition.
Nonprescription Acne Treatment
- Water Intake – Consuming lots of water is the 1st way to give your skin a boost for self-heeling of acne and many other health conditions. Consuming 12-15 glass of water daily can help you give soothing effects to your skin by making it less oily.
- Using mild soap and cleanser – Twice to thrice a day, a gentle face cleansing with mild soap and water can help lower your acne pimples. Avoid aggressive scrubbing or facial when you experience moderate to severe acne as this can injure the skin and cause other skin issues altogether.
- Protection from Sun – Avoid going in heat is very much needed when you experience moderate to severe acne. The UV rays of the sun can trigger your acne worse, so it is best to avoid or wear a sun protection sunscreen (SPF 50) when you go out in the sun.
- Eat good food – It is believed that eating wisely should prioritise preventing the outbreak of can. Foods rich with omega3 fatty acids fight acne faster than non-omega foods. Fish, spinach, soybeans and soy products, nuts, and flaxseeds are common food items rich in omega3. Apart from this, eating citrus fruits are also helpful to prevent acne. You can also try flavored water for the intake of antioxidants in your body.
- Blood purification – Juice of beetroot, Azadirachta indica, bitter melon help in blood purification naturally. You can mix all of thee or take the single one in every alternate day to purify your blood. Other than this, eating jaggery also purifies the blood and cuts the clotted blood in the body.
- Never touch or squeeze your acne or normal pimple – One should not touch or squeeze his/her acne or normal pimple when it is ready to break, as this can lead to further inflammation and permanent scar. Allow your pimple a natural burst on its own, and wash your face after that with cold or normal water.
Prescription Acne Treatment
- Topical Formulation – Acne medications like Retin A Gel containing Tretinoin promote quick healing of the pimples when applied correctly for the prescribed duration. This medication is a popular option for treating acne vulgaris. Retin A Gel is a generic option that belongs to a retinoid class, which works by affecting the skin cells’ growth. Its active formula works and delivers the desired result within 8 to 12 weeks, depending on the severity of your acne condition. This medicine comes in different strengths and forms (i.e., gel, cream, and liquid).
- Antibiotic – Taking timely antibiotics help prevent acne vulgaris. Antibiotics work by clearing the acne-causing bacteria and reducing skin inflammation. Many antibiotics come in topical (like Retin A Gel) and oral form. Take antibiotic tablets after consulting a doctor to avoid any health or skin complications.
- Therapies – Some people therapy works when they find oral and topical, showing no or very less result. Therapies like:
- Light therapy – Light-based therapy have shown some good results; it requires multiple visits to a doctor clinic to get it done.
- Drainage and extraction – To gently remove the cysts and comedones from your skin, your doctor may use some special tools. This technique temporarily improves the skin appearance but can cause scarring too.
- Chemical Peel – This process can be considered for mild acne; the chemical solution such as salicylic acid, retinoic acid or glycolic acid helps to improve the skin appearance.
- Steroid Injection – Cystic and nodular lesions can be treated by injecting steroid into the skin. It is believed that this therapy offers rapid improvement with less pain. The main side effects associated with this therapy are skin thinning and discoloration in the treated area.