The term urinary incontinence refers to involuntary urine leakage. This is not classified as a disease. It is instead a symptom of a problem in the urinary tract. Urine is made by kidneys and the urinary bladder stores it. Urethra is the tube that connects the bladder to the penis through the prostate. A ring of muscles surround this tube and is known as the urinary sphincter. When there is urine in the bladder, it stays relaxed till the nerve signals direct the urinary sphincter to stay shut. This coordination between the nerves and muscles keep the urine from leaking.
When you feel the urge to urinate, the nerve directs the sphincter to squeeze, and as a result the urine flows out of the bladder and enters the urethra. When the urinary bladder squeezes, the urethra loosens up so that urine can get out of the body. This is the normal functioning of the urinary system.
CAUSES OF MALE INCONTINENCE:
In men suffering from urinary incontinence, things do not quite happen in the same way. Here are some main male incontinence causes:
– The urinary bladder squeezes harder than required or at the wrong time, causing leakage of urine.
– The muscles around the urethra become weak or worn out, and cause accidental leakage of urine. In this case, the bladder seems fit and functions normally.
– If there is too much urine stored in the bladder because it did not get rid of urine on time, it can lead to accidental leakage of urine.
– If there is a blockage in the urethra leading to build-up of urine in the bladder, leakage can occur.
Urinary incontinence is more common in old age and does not happen much in young men. The condition can either be short-term or chronic. Some health problems may lead to short-term urinary incontinence and there can be many male incontinence causes in different cases.
Also read: 3 Most Common Causes of Infertility in Men
TREATMENT AND CURE:
If you are diagnosed with urinary incontinence, there are many effective male incontinence treatments and products that can help you. Depending on the type of urinary incontinence you are suffering from and the intensity of the problem, your doctor will prescribe a suitable treatment plan for you.
Male incontinence treatments can include medication or male incontinence exercisesor a combination of both. In a few rare cases, men are required to undergo surgery.
Besides medicines, making some healthy lifestyle changes can go a long way in treating urinary incontinence in men. Fibrous food should be included in the diet. You should quit smoking. Drinking should be in limits. Any more than one drink a day is unhealthy for this condition. Fizzy drinks are also not recommended. Reduce the consumption of caffeine or stop it altogether for treatment and recovery. Caffeine drinks such as tea and coffee should be cut back. Maintaining a healthy weight is very important. Some easy male incontinence exercises include Kegels and other such pelvic floor exercises. It is also important to change your habits of urination. Go to the bathroom many times a day. While urinating, try to urinate, relax, and then go again—this is called double voiding and helps in male incontinence treatment.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- Benefits of Fish Oils and Omega-3 Oils Unravelled - October 1, 2018
- Probable Link Between Losing Weight in Childhood and Reduced Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Found - September 26, 2018
- Foods that Help Lower Blood Sugar - September 24, 2018