Low levels of testosterone in the body can lead to less than optimal health. The good news is that treatments for this condition are widely available, but early diagnosis, as well as treatment is essential.
Understanding testosterone and low testosterone levels
Testosterone is a male sex hormone that plays a significant role in the development of male reproductive organs including the testes and prostate. During the time of puberty, this hormone promotes secondary sexual characteristics as well, such as long bone mass, increased muscle, and growth of body hair. Testosterone plays a vital role in adulthood; it maintains the sexual desire in men. In the majority of males, the level of testosterone hormone in the bloodstream remains normal for the rest of the life. However, some men have a low level of testosterone, which can affect his sexual health. In fact, studies have linked low testosterone levels to health conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
Low testosterone is a condition that has been gaining a lot of attention due to increasing awareness about the condition and its impact on a man’s life. The common sexual conditions associated with the impacts of low testosterone include decreased sex drive and erectile dysfunction.
Common symptoms associated with low testosterone
- Decreased energy
- Decreased sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Decreased exercise tolerance
- Loss of muscle mass
- Osteoporosis (brittle bones)
- Iron deficiency
- Change in cognitive function
Risk factors for low testosterone
While testosterone levels in the bloodstream can decline as the man ages; health conditions can also affect testosterone levels, including:
- Type 2 diabetes- According to studies, it has been shown that men with diabetes mellitus are more likely to have developed levels of testosterone. Also, the studies also reveal that some men with low testosterone are more prone to have diabetes as they age.
- Sleep apnea
- Damage to the testes
- Infection or testicular cancer
- Chronic pain
If you have developed any of these symptoms, you need to discuss with a urologist for evaluation and diagnosis, as well as the treatment options available that suits your condition.
Warning signs of having low testosterone
There are some warning signs that could indicate of having low testosterone levels. The best and easy way to sure about it is to schedule an appointment with a healthcare specialist who specializes in male reproductive problems. The commonly reported sexual issues are experienced by people having low testosterone levels are:
- Low sex drive- A majority of men experiences some decline in their sex drive as they age. However, in some men, a rapid decline in sex drive can also indicate of low testosterone levels. If the drop in sex drive persists for a long time, it could be the right time to consult an urologist or an expert who specializes in resolving male sexual health issues.
- Trouble in getting an erection- If you find difficulty in attaining and keeping a penile erection to satisfy your partner, it could be a sign of low testosterone levels in your body. The condition is popularly known as erectile dysfunction. While testosterone is not the main cause of penile erection, it plays a vital role in promoting sex drive and sending a signal to your brain to build an erection. The erection issue can be serious in some cases and required erectile dysfunction treatment. You must consider consulting an urologist for erectile dysfunction cure. He/she may prescribe erectile dysfunction medication that best suits your condition. Sildenafil citrate is one the most widely used erectile dysfunction drugs To avoid complications, it is necessary to treat erectile dysfunction as early as possible.
- Hair loss-testosterone is also associated with the production of hair. Hair loss is the most common indication that the man is ageing. A low testosterone level may cause loss of facial and body hair.
- Lack of energy-Man suffering from low testosterone has been shown to have a significant decrease in energy. Such men feel fatigued throughout the day event after drinking plenty of water, and get a lot of sleep. If you too experience the same condition, you could have low testosterone levels.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- Food Choices that can aid in Treating Erectile Dysfunction - July 12, 2018
- List of Skin Conditions Related to HIV/AIDS - July 8, 2018
- 6 Asthma Myths Debunked - July 6, 2018