Can controlling diabetes and its associated health complications are as simple as making the right food choices? The answer is YES!
Certain foods are packed with essential nutrients that help to maintain blood sugar, protect you against diabetes-related heart complications, and even save your eyesight from the effects of this metabolic disorder. Check the food list below that can give you an extra edge against diabetes as well as related complications.
Importance of diet in Diabetes management
While medications like glycomet SR 500 mg or other anti-diabetic drugs, adequate sleep, and stress management can all play a significant role in diabetes treatment, experts say that diet is one of the most important factors to keep in mind while managing blood sugar level. It is believed that specific food choices can have a direct effect on your blood sugar levels. Diabetes occurs when your blood sugar levels are higher than normal. Foods containing carbohydrates like rice, cereals, pasta, milk, fruits, bread, and desserts can cause a rise in blood sugar. If you have diabetes then your eating plan should focus on the amount and the type of carbohydrates you include in your plate throughout the day. Look at some best foods for lowering blood sugars. Remember, they should never be used in place of diabetes medication, but rather alongside.
Food choices to lower blood sugar
- Whole fruits- According to research studies, people who consume whole fruits, especially blueberries apples, and grapes have significantly reduced the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. Researchers also reported that drinking fruit juice can increase the risk of diabetes.
- Legumes- legumes such as kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, and cannelloni beans can be a great addition to your salad, soups or a variety of dishes. This low-calorie, high fiber, and high protein food help to reduce the risk of diabetes and associated health complication including heart disease.
- Plain yogurt- Yogurt, especially non-Greek or plain yogurt is an excellent source of protein, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Greek yogurt is packed with nutrients that help to lower blood sugar levels as well as satiate appetite very quickly. The high-quality source can serve as an excellent source of protein in place of fatty meats or processed food items.
- Almonds- They provide more protein than other types of nuts as well as more fiber and overall nutrition. Almonds are the excellent choice for lowering blood sugar levels. The small nuts are also packed with magnesium and potassium that help control blood glucose and blood pressure levels. They also offer a little iron, calcium, and zinc too. One ounce of almonds is equal to 22 nuts, and this could be a perfect serving size as snacks throughout the day. You can also add almonds to your salads, oatmeal, and even stir-fries.
- Wild fish- Wild fish contains iron, vitamin B, lean protein, healthy fats along with minerals like potassium and magnesium. A fish can be a great choice to lower blood sugar levels because of the overall nutritional benefits. While purchasing, go for lean options like tilapia, salmon, tuna, halibut and avoid those are fried in oil and roasted with breadcrumbs. It is also very important to choose wild fish over a farmed one to avoid pollutants and pesticides. You can have fish in your lunch or dinner. If you like it to serve on your breakfast table, then it will be a great option to include in your omelettes or serve over greens.
- Garlic- Garlic can do more than just adding a flavor to your favorite dish. Enriched with sulphur, garlic can be a great addition to a variety of dishes to help lower blood sugar. Furthermore, it is also helpful in lowering blood pressure and LDL cholesterol in people with diabetes.
Latest posts by Max Jones (see all)
- Is Your Eyelash Serum Causing Any Long Lasting Damage? - December 11, 2018
- Know If Exercise Can Cure a Migraine - November 21, 2018
- Few Myths and Facts about Hair Loss! - November 16, 2018