Visiting a gynaecologist for a young girl or woman is always a little awkward for the first time. Being a woman has never been too easy; one has to face a lot of problems related to her menstruation and sexual life. It sometimes becomes difficult to control emotions and feelings when you are with your boyfriend. A gynaecologist always provides the genuine solutions and advises you in the best possible way. Whether a girl is single or married, sex is always pleasurable for her but it’s the after effects that could be problematic. There are some common topics which every woman feels shy to discuss with her gynaecologist related to sex, menstruation, vaginal problems and sexually transmitted diseases.
There are things which many women consider telling their close or best friends. One can face a lot of health issues related to a reproductive system and a gynaecologist is the only person who understands every women situation and knows better how to comfort them.
- Unusual discharge- Having an unusual discharge is common in women but one must consult a gynaecologist if it is different than usual. It could be caused due to vaginal yeast infection. Candida albicans is a type of fungus that is found in the vagina, mouth, digestive tract and skin. Mostly, the symptoms do not occur but when the candida increases, it leads to yeast infection. It may happen if a woman is pregnant, obese or relying on antibiotics for treating other infections. Sometime s a vaginal unusual discharge can be mistaken for yeast infection. Apart from abnormal vaginal discharge, other symptoms of yeast infection include:
- Pain while urinating
- Swelling of skin or redness outside vagina
- Itching at vagina
- Discharge could be watery, thick, white and like cottage cheese
- Menstrual pain- When women are on their periods, they usually get pain and stomach cramps. But when it becomes more severe than usual, we should consult a gynaecologist. It is necessary that the gynaecologist must diagnose the causes of pain. Examples include: pelvic inflammatory disease, fibroids and endometriosis. It could be a problem if reproductive system does not work properly. The gynaecologist is the best person to make an appointment related to women’s health issues.
- When to conceive- If you are planning to conceive after months or a year, you can consult a gynaecologist as they can provide the best healthy tips and medical advice which would not really be given on regular visits. Even if you are not planning to conceive, you can discuss about the topic of fertility. Her advice may result in a healthy pregnancy and makes sure you do not lose your foetus at any stage of pregnancy.
- Having sex without protection- One should not hesitate while discussing about her sexual life to the gynaecologist. A sexually transmitted disease is an infection which one can easily get while having sex with the infected partner. There are more than 20 types of sexually transmitted diseases, some of them include: Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Genital herpes, HPV, Syphilis, HIV/AIDS and Trichomoniasis. Having unprotected sex could increase the chances of getting either HPV or Chlamydia. STD symptoms include: painful periods, pain during sex, bleeding between periods and itching around vagina.
- Funky vaginal smell- Noticing a funky smell coming from the vagina that could be a sign of embarrassment while having sex with your partner. This could be due to yeast infection or pH imbalance. Left tampon inside vagina also sometimes results in bad odor. So, the need emerges to cure yeast infection. There are topical treatments available for both over the counter and with prescription. A doctor will recommend some best antifungal creams, ointments and suppositories to be applied on the genital area. Always follow the instructions given on the pack and the process may take about 3 days to cure yeast infection. A lot of pharmacies and supermarkets offer over the counter creams and ointments. Common medications are:
- clotrimazole (Mycelex),
- butoconazole (Gynezol or Fernstat),
- miconazole nitrate (Monistat),
- tioconazole (Vagistat-1).
Getting no relief from over the counter treatment after 48 hours, would necessarily mean to arrange an immediate appointment with the doctor.
- When sex is painful- Woman should never feel shy to discuss about their sexual life with the gynaecologist. When you face any type of pain during intercourse, the reason could be due to a slight tilt in uterus and vaginal dryness. The issue is not only faced by married woman but also many young girls too suffer from it. In many cases, it happens as a side effect of birth control. Disclose the facts about diseases or conditions you have suffered in the past or any medications taken. A brief medical history will make gynaecologist understand things in a better way and she would prescribe the best medicines and advice for your health.
- Occasionally bleeding after sex- After losing virginity for the first time, the hymen breaks and woman often bleeds. Occasionally bleeding after sex could be due to any type of infection or dryness problem to a precancerous cervical issue. One must give all the details to the gynaecologist related to any disturbance in menstrual cycle. In order to cure vaginal yeast infection, non prescriptive medicines can be used.
3 healthy ways to cure yeast infection
- Try to follow a healthy and balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains providing all essential nutrients and proteins. Eating good food fights off bacteria and infections
- Make use of pads in place of tampons while on non prescriptive medicines
- If one is having severe itching at vagina, then make sure you do not rub it as this could worsen the condition. If the genital area is somehow swollen or in pain, try to sit and relax in warm water or make use of cool and damp cloth on the affected area.Also Read: Americans and Cervical Cancer
According to the American college of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (ACOG), women lying in 13-15 years of age must visit an obstetrician-gynaecologist for the first time. For teens their first visit to a gynaecologist will include only an external examination of their genitals. This is really important so that they become aware of female problems like abnormal vaginal bleeding, pain during periods, unusual vaginal secretions and other problems related to reproductive health. The idea to see a gynaecologist could be embarrassing but it is really essential and every daughter must take this step to lead a better and happy married life.
Also Read: Ten Important Nutrients Every Woman Needs
If you find this article useful, then please share it on other social pages. Do post comments in case you have any health queries.