Have you ever questioned yourself, why you need to improve your appetite? No? But, you have to, because the body requires a certain amount of calories from food to survive and function properly. A decreased or loss of appetite leads to insufficient calorie intake and can have detrimental effects on health.
Basically, appetite is must for the proper functioning of the body. The basic difference between hunger and appetite is that appetite is the need to eat in order to maintain energy balance. But, some people wish to gain strength and muscle mass, but they simply do not have an appetite. Medically, this condition is known as anorexia, which isthe loss of appetite. This serious condition may happen for a variety of reasons such as reduction in activity levels, pain, anxiety, depression, tiredness, some medications, and illnesses. Moreover, it is a proven fact that without having enough calories, people with anorexia will not be able to train as hard as they can and recover adequately.
There are a number of ways that may help in increasing your appetite. Below are some of the surprising ways that may be helpful to anyone who has been struggling with the inability to gain weight or for developing a healthy appetite:
• Eat small meals – Without spending a buck, you can try this natural way of increasing your appetite. You can eat four to six small meals throughout the day instead of three large ones.
• Break routines – Don’t feel pressurized by sticking to a fixed routine of having something like at noon or 5:00 p.m. Eat a balanced meal that includes proteins, vitamins, fats and carbohydrates.
• Overcome the restrictions – Depending on a restricted diet may account for a low appetite because the food simply isn’t enticing enough. You can overcome this problem by consulting your doctor, who will lift the dietary limitations, if possible. Furthermore, try to ask your doctor if you can include more of your favorite foods or flavor enhancers in your diet that would encourage you to eat more.
Also Read: Boost Your Health with Omega 3 Fatty Acids
• Avoid fluid intake before meals – Various studies conducted on people have proven that people who drank 2-8 glasses of water before meal lost 5 pounds in comparison to people who did not. This practice is good for those who want to shed their pounds, but for people who want to increase their appetite, this practice should be avoided. Always try to avoid drinking unnecessary liquids before eating and if you feel thirsty, then you can take a few sips of water during your meal. This will encourage you in consuming larger meals as your stomach will not become full quite as easily.
• Exercise, exercise and exercise – There is no doubt that exercise is the key behind a fit and healthy body. You can take in both the senses, for people who eat big or who are overweight, any sort of exercise is best for them because it helps them in burning their calories and helps them to stay fit. Moreover, exercise is also helpful for people who want to increase their weight and also their appetite. As exercise increases heart rate and burns calories, this will help you in eating more by which you can stimulate your appetite.
• Vitamin supplements – Study conducted at the University of Chicago have noted a significant increase in children who were ingesting vitamin B supplements. Vitamin B supplements play a major role in increasing the appetite, which results in increase in energy levels, thereby inspiring you to be a more active if you are on an exercise program. But, always make sure to consult your doctor before switching to supplements.
• Verify the zinc status – Zinc plays a major in the person’s appetite. Studies have found that people suffering from zinc deficiency find food tastes differently, which result in decrease in your appetite. Moreover, zinc deficiency is also linked with other issues like bad breath and overall foul taste in the mouth. So, if you ever experience any of these symptoms or food does not taste right to you, then head to your doctor. He/she will suggest you the vitamin or mineral supplements that are safe for health and that may help you in increase your appetite.
Drugs or medicines that help you in increase your appetite:
There are certain medications that may help people in stimulating their appetite. These include:
• Mirtazapine – Mirtazapine is a tetra cyclic antidepressant drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1996 for the treatment of major depression. Various researchers have found thatmirtazapine drug relieves mood disorders and helps in increasing the appetite of persons who have been previously diagnosed with depression.
• Orexigenic (OVX) – Thismedicine is also known as appetite stimulant, which is a naturally occurring neuropeptide hormone like orexin, ghrelin, or neuropeptidethat increases hunger and therefore enhances food consumption.