Honey is loaded with plenty of nutritional and medicinal value and has been in use since centuries. There are several health benefits of honey, hence it is often used in various home remedies for health problems.The liquid gold is a kitchen staple and is widely used for its multitude of health benefits. Honey comprises a host of minerals and vitamins. The kind of nutrients present is dependent on the flowers that were used for apiculture. Generally honey comprises iron, calcium and vitamin C. The health benefits of honey are plenty. Here are some of them.
- Provides energy – Honey contains around 64 calories per tablespoon. It is therefore used by many people as an important source of energy. It is an excellent source of carbohydrates that offers energy and strength to our bodies. It is known to instantly enhance the endurance and performance of athletes and also decrease muscle fatigue. It contains natural sugars that work to play a crucial role in helping prevent fatigue during exercise. The glucose present in honey is absorbed by the body fast; this gives an instant energy boost. The fructose present in the honey is absorbed gradually, thus offering sustained energy to the body.
- Reduces blood sugar – Honey has also been found to keep the blood sugar levels constant in comparison to the other types of sugar.
- Boosts immunity – One of the important health benefits of honey is that it is an effective immune system booster. The anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties present in the liquid can help enhance the digestive system and enable you to fight off diseases and stay healthy. Start your day with a spoonful of this tonic and you can see remarkable improvement in your health within a few days.
- Fights cancer – One of the most overlooked benefits of honey is that it can help to fight cancer. Honey contains anti-tumor and carcinogen preventing properties that can help in the prevention as well as progression of both cancer and tumour.
- High antiseptic quality – For ages, honey has been regarded as a natural remedy to treat an array of complaints and ailments including athletes’ foot, yeast infection and joint pain. It is loaded with antiseptic properties that prevents the growth of certain types of bacteria and helps to keep the wounds free of bacteria. It is also one of the most widely used natural remedy for first aid treatments during cuts, burns and wounds. The antibacterial properties present in honey help to prevent infection. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help decrease pain, swelling and scarring.
- Treat sore throats – One of the well known health benefits of honey is that it is very effective in treating sore throats. Its antimicrobial properties help to soothe throats and also kill the bacteria that lead to the infection. The thick consistency of the honey helps to coat the throat and the sweet taste triggers the nerve endings, which in turn work to protect the throat from coughing. It is also an effective treatment against upper respiratory tract infections.
- Cures insomnia – Honey is also a well known cure for sleeplessness. Mix honey in a glass of hot milk to induce restful sleep.
- Treats scalp issues – Research has shown that applying honey diluted with warm water on the problem areas on the scalp and leaving it on for a couple of hours before rinsing off cured dandruff and itching. Lesions on the scalp healed within a week and there was an improvement in hair loss as well. The antifungal and antibacterial properties of honey can help treat dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, which are often the result of fungal overgrowth. The anti inflammatory properties of honey also help to take care of the itching and redness of the scalp. Apart from being great for your scalp and hair, there are several honey skin benefits as well.
- Uplifts mood – Honey can increase insulin and releases a neurotransmitter, serotonin that works to enhance happiness and mood. The body converts this serotonin into melatonin, which is a chemical compound that has an effect on the quality and length of sleep.
- Helps in weight loss – Honey can also be used as an effective weight loss ingredient. When consumed with warm water, it helps to digest the fat that is stored in the body. Also, when used in combination with cinnamon or lemon juice, it helps to get rid of excess weight.
- Prevent free radicals – Honey comprises Nutraceuticals, which help to get rid of free radicals from the body. This helps to enhance body immunity and protect it against many health conditions including even heart diseases and cancer.
Now that you are aware of the various benefits of honey, how do you consume it? You can either take it raw or add it to different beverages or water and drink it. You can also add it to salads and many other recipes and enjoy the many health benefits of honey.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- How to Survive a Heart Attack? - March 7, 2019
- Can Constipation Make You Fat? - March 5, 2019
- Few Tips to Choose the Best Doctor for Your Skin Disease - March 1, 2019