Pomegranates are known widely for their unique combination of juiciness and crunchiness. Also, it has high nutritional value which makes it an irresistible and tempting fruit. Here are some pomegranate health benefits.
- Prevents heart ailments – Pomegranates have plenty of polyphenols that contain effective antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help keep at bay free radical damage, thus helping avoid heart disease. The fruit helps to keep the arteries flexible and also works to decrease the inflammation along the lining of the blood vessels. It also helps prevent oxidation of cholesterol that leads to the formation of plaque and the development of coronary heart disease.
Pomegranate is known to decrease atherosclerosis, which is a primary cause of heart disease. Taking the fruit regularly helps to decrease lesions and inflammation of blood vessels in heart patients. It also helps decrease the risk of artery blockage, which can lead to blood flow restriction to the brain and the heart.
- Decreases blood pressure – Pomegranate juice contains fructose, but it does not increase the blood sugar levels. On the other hand, it helps to decrease high blood pressure. This one of the most important pomegranate health benefits. One of the main constituents of the fruit is punicic acid that works to reduce triglycerides and cholesterol as well.
- Prevents cancer – Whether it is breast cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, or lung cancer, pomegranates helps in the prevention and treatment of a wide range of cancers. This can be attributed to the presence of polyphenol antioxidants in the fruit. Several studies have revealed that pomegranate juice can prevent the growth of tumor cells and bring about their natural death. Pomegranates also contain anti-inflammatory properties that also make it a good fruit to prevent cancer.
- Enhances digestion – To keep the digestive system healthy, it is essential to have more fiber-rich food in your diet. Eating one pomegranate every day is an excellent way to add more fiber to your diet. One pomegranate can provide 45% of the recommended daily fibre requirements.
- Improves immunity – This is one of the crucial pomegranate juice health benefits. As it is loaded with anti-inflammatory compounds, the fruit is highly recommended for people suffering from immune-related ailments such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. The fruit also contains vitamin C that enhances the production of antibody and immunity development. The fruit can enable you to have a healthy immune system that can ward off a bevy of infections and illnesses.
- Enhances libido – For ages, pomegranates have been regarded as a symbol of fertility. A glass of the fruit juice helps boost testosterone levels. This property of the fruit makes it a natural aphrodisiac.
- Keeps you youthful – Pomegranates contain polyohenolic compounds that are effective antioxidants and help delay the process of aging. It is therefore beneficial to eat pomegranates to help keep your skin healthy and glowing for a long time.
- Reduces stress levels – The fruit not only helps decrease the internal oxidative stress on the body; it also helps to reduce the emotional stress that you go through. People who eat pomegranate regularly have lower levels of cortisol – the stress hormone.
- Helps avoid Alzheimer’s – Several studies have shown that one of the important pomegranate juice health benefits is that it is excellent to prevent and treat Alzheimer’s disease.
- Avoids formation of plaque – The fruit contains certain compounds that have anti-plaque effects.
- Helps in digestion – The fruit juice is often used to treat dysentery and diarrhoea as it plays an important role in secreting enzymes that help in proper digestion. Mix a teaspoon of honey with pomegranate juice to cure stomach problems.
- Reduces anaemia – This is another vital pomegranate juice health benefits. Anaemia is the result of red blood cells deficiency in the body. The pomegranate is loaded with iron and this helps to take care of the deficiency.
- Good for pregnant women – Pomegranate juice is excellent for pregnant women. It contains several minerals and vitamins such as folic acid, which is an important component of a pre-natal diet. The fruit has anti inflammatory properties that ensure healthy blood flow that helps in the development of the foetus. When consumed on a regular basis, the fruit helps to reduce the risk of premature child birth.
With so many pomegranate health benefits, it makes for a great addition to your everyday diet. Drinking a glass of the fruit juice is all that it takes to experience the myriad benefits of the fruit.