Many people across the globe are seeking information about what is Ivermectin and what is Ivermectin used for?
The popularity of this drug is quite in the news because of its efficacy for treating varied infections. It is an antiparasitic agent approved by the food and drug administration (FDA) that has shown to have anti-viral action against a wide range of viruses. It is widely used to treat worm infections. Ivermectin is considered the drug of choice in onchocerciasis (river blindness) and strongyloidiasis (roundworm infection). It remains a therapeutic option for mass treatment in lymphatic filariasis (also known as elephantiasis), for which the drug has widely approved its effectiveness.
What is Ivermectin used for?
- River blindness: It is a parasitic worm infection transmitted by repeated bites of infected blackflies. These blackflies breed along fast-flowing rivers, near fertile land where people rely on agriculture. In earlier, stages you may have no symptoms, and in many cases, it can take up a year for symptoms to appear. Once the infection becomes severe, signs and symptoms appear as extreme itching, skin rashes, bumps under the skin, itching of the eyes, changes to skin pigmentation, cataracts, enlarged groin, loss of vision, light sensitivity, and loss of skin elasticity.
- Roundworm infection– It is an intestinal infection caused by a type of roundworm called strongyloidiasis. The parasite survives and reproduces in human intestines for decades without causing symptoms. For those with a weak immune system, it can be life-threatening. The roundworm can lay eggs in human intestines, and when the larvae hatch, they immediately re-infect you.
- Lymphatic Filariasis or Elephantiasis: Lymphatic filariasis impairs the lymphatic system and results in abnormal enlargement of the body parts, causing severe pain and disability. This happens when the parasite is transmitted to humans through mosquitoes. The parasitic infection is usually acquired in childhood, causing hidden damage to the lymphatic system.
Ivermectin is also effective at treating scabies (contagious skin disease) and lice, and it is one of the world health organization’s essential medicines.
- Scabies: An itchy skin condition caused by a tiny burrowing mite called Sarcoptes scabiei. The condition causes intense itching in the area where the mite burrows. The urge to scratch is strong, especially during the night hours. Scabies is a contagious disease that can quickly spread through physical contact in a family, school, or nursing home. Doctors recommend treatment for entire families because of the disease’s contagious nature.
The antiparasitic drug has been considered safe for use in humans, but only at recommended dosage level.
Is Ivermectin useful for Covid-19?
How to take Ivermectin for Covid? Previously, Ivermectin was used by severe or critically ill Covid-19 patients, with a conditional recommendation against their use in patients with mild to moderate covid 19. However, Ivermectin is not FDA approved for the treatment of covid-19 patients. We have been living with the coronavirus for what sometimes seems like forever. The number of deaths occurred from the diseases, and it is perhaps not surprising that some consumers are turning to drugs not approved by the food and drug administration. There is insufficient evidence for the Covid-19 treatment guidelines panel to suggest either for or against using Ivermectin tablets to treat the coronavirus disease. The drug has been shown to inhibit the replication of SARS-COV-2 (the virus responsible for causing covid-19) in cell cultures. But there are other assumptions associated, and the studies have incomplete information, making it difficult to include Ivermectin as a part of the Covid-19 program. The current evidence on using Ivermectin tablets to treat Covid 19 patients is inconclusive. Until more information is available, the World health organization or WHO suggests that the medicine only be used within clinical trials.
Clinical trials assessing the medicine for the treatment and prevention of Covid 19 in people are ongoing. To date, very few treatment options have been demonstrated to reduce the mortality burden from Covid-19. Although corticosteroids have been proven to reduce death in severe disease, there has been limited evidence that may prevent disease, reduce hospitalizations, and reduce the number of people progressing to severity and death.
One of the FDA’s jobs is to evaluate the scientific data on a pharmaceutical agent to ensure that it is safe and effective for use. In some cases, it can be highly unsafe to use a medicine for the treatment or prevention of covid 19 that has not been approved by or received emergency use approval from the FDA.
Treatment option for treating and preventing Covid 19
- One of the most effective ways to limit the spread of covid 19 is to get a Covid-19 shot when it is available to you. Let’s have a closer look at some of the available covid 19 treatment options and how to know more about them.
- Speak to your health care professional about available therapies if you have Covid-19. Your healthcare provider will prescribe the best treatment based on your symptoms, risks, and health history.
- Any drug you may consider having to treat corona should be taken under the supervision of a doctor
- Get prescribed the best immune system supplements or medicine fight the disease.
- Follow all protocols decided and guided by the government to prevent novel coronavirus.
What is Ivermectin? It is an FDA-approved antiparasitic agent that has been shown to have anti-viral against a broad range of viruses. Taking large and extra doses is harmful. If your doctor writes you an Ivermectin prescription, fil it through a reliable online pharmacy and take it exactly as prescribed. Currently available data do not show Ivermectin tablets are effective against the novel coronavirus disease. FDA is not supporting this drug as a safe or effective option for treating patients with covid-19.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Things to Know While Buying Medicines - April 29, 2022
- What Are Antibiotics? What Are Its Uses, Resistance & Effects? - February 28, 2022
- Do Weight Loss Pills Work? Effects of Weight Loss Capsules - February 10, 2022