One of the costliest and highly prevalent diseases is diabetes, but, unfortunately, most of the cases are unrecognized. Many complications due to diabetes can be prevented if it is detected and treated appropriately in the stages. Not having adequate control of blood sugar levels can make the situation worse. The high level of sugar injures blood vessels that can become a cause of damage to heart, kidney, brain and even eyes.
To understand diabetes, first you need to understand, how is your body managing glucose, i.e., the sugar fueling your metabolism. After you eat, your digestive tract breaks down carbohydrates into simple sugars that are to be absorbed into your bloodstream. Glucose is far away from the most important of these sugars and it’s an indispensable source of energy of your body’s cells. But to provide that energy, it must travel from your blood into your cells.
Types of Diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes– In this diabetes, the body doesn’t produce insulin. People usually develop type 1 diabetes before their 40th year, often in early adulthood in teenage years. Such patients are advised to take insulin injections for life. They also need to ensure proper blood glucose levels by taking regular blood tests and following a healthy diet.
- Type 2 diabetes– In this diabetes, the body doesn’t produce enough insulin for proper functions, or the cells in the body react to insulin. Maximum of the cases of diabetes is type 2. Some people may be able to control their type 2 diabetes symptoms through weight control, following a healthy diet, working out regularly and watching their blood glucose level. However, it is typically a progressive disease that gets gradually worse and the patient will probably end up taking insulin, usually in tablet form.
- Gestational diabetes– This diabetes effect females during pregnancy. Some women have very high levels of glucose in their blood, and their body is unable to produce enough insulin to transport all the glucose into their cell, resulting in a progressively rising level of glucose. Patients with this kind of diabetes can control their diabetes through regular exercise and strict diet. Some patients are even recommended to take some blood glucose controlling medicines. Gestational diabetes that remains unrecognized can raise the risk of complications during childbirth.
Following are the symptoms of diabetes:
- Increased thirst and urinations.
- Increased hunger.
- Blurred vision
- Numbness or tingling in the feet or hand
- Sores that don’t heal unexplained weight loss.
Diabetes Prevention Includes:
- It mainly requires lifestyle modification.
- A moderate degree of exercise and maintaining a healthy and fit body can keep the disease at bay.
- Routine consumption of high-calorie foods is required to be avoided.
- Children must be detracted from having too much unhealthy junk food.
Diabetes Treatment Guidelines:
- Healthy eating and exercise help in maintaining diabetes level.
- Keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels and keep that check as and when your doctor advises.
- Type 1 diabetes can be managed with insulin and proper dietary changes and exercise.
- Type 2 diabetes can be managed with non-insulin medications i.e. diabetes treatment diet, weight loss.
The Cure for Diabetes:
Diabetes can only be controlled and cannot be cured, as per the conventional textbook treatment. But, now a weight loss surgery has proven a cure for obese diabetics. Even the newer sleeve gastrectomy has been seen to give very good results in diabetics.
Diabetes is not only a disease of the overweight people, one must learn to recognize, prevent and cured the disease that is affecting million of people worldwide. The most dangerous fact about diabetes is that it’s painless and hence is hard to detect. Even a slight increase in fat content can cause insulin resistance. One should be checked by a physician and a glucose tolerance test is a must. Test figure out the response of the body to 100 grams of glucose, studied at a gap of every thirty minutes.
Insulin levels should be checked against the blood sugar level. If the insulin levels are more, it means the body has to produce more insulin to turn glucose into energy.
Diabetes can affect your pocket and planned expenses! So, don’t let the diabetes treatment cost deprive you and your family of the basic requirements! Therefore, start timely treatment if you are suffering from any of the above-mentioned symptoms and live a peaceful life!