Pain, itchiness, or irritation of the throat is referred to as sore throat. In this blog, you will get to know different home remedies for sore throat. Are you finding it difficult to swallow foods and liquids? You may be suffering from a sore throat. The condition can be the first sign of a cold, which is a side effect of strained vocal cords or an indication of a Strep Throat condition.
As the condition worsens,the pain associated with sore throat may get worse when you try to swallow anything. You may also experience numerous symptoms, including dry throat, white patches on the tonsils, swollen glands in the neck, and hoarseness.
Anybody can get affected with a sore throat. However, the condition is higher in some people,including smokers, children, allergy sufferers, and people with a weak immune system.
Causes of a sore throat:
There are several reasons that causes sore throat. These are as follows:
• Viral infections- Mostly soar throat is caused due to a viral infection. One of the most frequent occurring viral infections is the common cold. There are other types of viral infections that cause a sore throat. They include chickenpox, croup (infection of the larynx), and measles.
• Bacterial infections- Another reason fora sore throat is a bacterial infection, which occurs due to irritating or inflamed tissues. Bacterial infections that cause a sore throat show symptoms such as whooping cough and strep throat (infection caused by the Streptococcus bacteria).
Also Read: The foods you can rely on when you are sick
• Toxins/Irritants-Cigarette smoke, air pollution, and noxious airborne chemicals are other causes fora sore throat. In addition, various medical conditions like allergies, cough, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), postnasal drip, and tumors can also cause a sore throat.
• Injuries- Sore throat can also occur in case your neck or throat area suffers any injury. Sometimes, excessive yelling or screaming can irritate the throat and larynx, and result in a sore throat.
How to treat a sore throat?
Sore throat isn’t a serious condition, as it doesn’t require medical attention. But, if it lasts for more than a week, then visit your doctor. He/she will determine the exact cause of sore throat and treat the symptoms, accordingly. However, there are various home remedies for sore throat, which may help you get rid of the condition. These are as follows:
• Gargle- Gargling helps to soothe a sore throat. You need to gargle with lukewarm water, mixed with a pinch of salt. Also, you can mix turmeric powder in the salt solution for faster relief .
• Salt-water- Your mother may have recommended salt water for sore throat. If so, she was probably right. As per the studies, warm salt water can help soothe a sore throat and break down secretions. Salt water is also known to kill bacteria in the throat.It also helps in reducing swelling and keeps the throat clean.
Buy Medicines for Throat Infection here
• Suck on Garlic- Garlic is a natural remedy that can help cure a sore throat. The primary compound in garlic is allicin that kills the bacteria causing Strep and fight the germs causing pain and irritation. To cure your sore throat, you just need to have a fresh clove of garlic and slice it in half. Place each piece of garlic under each cheek and suck it. Try this once daily and see the difference within two to three days.
• Honey- Honey is full of natural antibacterial properties that quickly heal the condition of a sore throat. It acts as a hypertonic osmotic that helps in reducing the discomfort by drawing out water from the inflamed tissues. Add 4-5 tsp of honey to a cup of herbal tea or hot water and drink it. You will see the results.
• Slippery elm- Since ages, slippery elm has been a traditional remedy for a sore throat. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Native Americans used slippery elm to get relief from coughs and sore throats.Slippery elm has a mucus-like substance in it, and when mixed with water, this element forms a slick gel that coats and soothes. To use slippery elm, steep a teaspoon of the inner bark in two cups of boiling water, strain and drink.
One of the other potential sore throat soother is Eucalyptus, which you can find in various cough syrups and chamomile tea. Trying out the home remedies mentioned above may help you feel better, and save your trip to the doctor.
Latest posts by Amelia Smith (see all)
- Best eye care measures for computer users - October 7, 2016
- Effects of alcohol and drug on our body - October 1, 2016
- Proven Methods to Prevent Teen from Using Alcohol or Drugs - September 28, 2016