Low Testosterone is a common condition all over the world in men with age over 45 years. The condition can affect you physically, sexually, and psychologically. If a man has a low level of testosterone, the symptoms include an erection problem, reduced sex drive, and bone mass.
Health impact of low testosterone
Testosterone is an essential hormone that is thought to regulate sex drive, fat distribution, bone mass, building muscle mass, and strength. Furthermore, the hormone turns a boy into a man. It is responsible for the deep voice in men; it causes hair to grow on your face and chest. It produces a whole host of other changes, both physical and mental. The testicles mainly secrete it, but some amount is made in the adrenal gland as well.
Low testosterone is increasingly becoming a serious health problem across the globe. If you are concerned about your low levels, then you must be aware of the fact that its natural for levels to decrease with age. Testosterone levels peak by early adulthood and drops as you age about 1 to 2% each year. A decrease in the testosterone levels brings a whole range of issues. Since low testosterone levels can have a great impact on a man’s life, it is important to know the signs and symptoms so that you can treat the condition as early as possible.
Most common signs of Low-T
The following symptoms are not proof of low testosterone on their own. You will need to have two blood tests showing low levels usually around 300 ng/dL or lower, depending on the laboratory test before your health care specialist makes official low testosterone. If Low testosterone is the reason behind your health complications than these can be reversed or treats improved with testosterone therapy.
- Reduced sex drive– The most common effect of low testosterone is low libido, says, clinical experts or urologists. Most patients who visit urologists with known, suspected low testosterone complaints of a decreased sexual drive. Men with low T want less sex, and they even masturbate less. They have fewer erotic dreams and sex associated fantasies. A drop in libido is common in older people, but low T causes a more drastic reduction, especially in younger ones.
- Problem with an erection- Low testosterone can cause difficulty in achieving and maintaining an erection for satisfactory intercourse. The hormone is essential for stimulating penile tissues to produce nitric oxide, which gives rise to several reactions that cause an erection. If the levels are too low, then is tough to get an erection.
- Bone loss- Low T can have a great impact on bone health, its decreasing levels can cause osteoporosis in men. Therefore, it is essential to maintain the optimal levels of the hormone to maintain bone density, particularly in ageing
- The decrease in muscle mass and increased body fat- testosterone help in building muscles and lose fat. Its low levels can contribute to a loss of muscle mass and the accumulation of body fat, particularly around the belly area. However, studies revealed that a change in muscle mass doesn’t always affect muscle strength and function.
- Sleep disturbances- If you are dealing with insomnia, frequent awakenings, or something else associated with disordered sleep, then Your low T could be the reason behind your disturbed sleep.
- Decreased semen volume- In addition to affecting your ability to achieve and maintain a penile erection, low testosterone may also affect the volume of semen you ejaculate during intercourse.
- Low energy levels- Many men with low testosterone are found to have decreased energy levels or chronic fatigue even after having an adequate amount of sleep.